+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    , ,
    Member No: 44729 jholcomb is an unknown quantity at this point jholcomb's Avatar
    Yes | No

Replace air mass meter on 01 4.4

I have a faulty air mass meter on a 2001 X5 4.4. Rather than pay my BMW mechanic $500, I would like to purchase an OE part for $150 and replace on my own.

Unfortunately I can't find much info on the steps to install one. Any suggestions/recommendations? Anyone tried this before?

, ,

Yes | No

Re: Replace air mass meter on 01 4.4

If it is like most BMWs, it basically clips to the intake and then plugs into the wiring harness. Takes two seconds to replace.

About as hard as emptying the ash tray, at least on the 3.0.

Maybe they made the 4.4 unnecessarily complicated? Oh, right, the engine with the water-cooled alternator. Of course they made it harder!

I notice from this picture (see below) on the web, that they put a honkin' plastic engine cover over the whole top of the motor (I hate that b.s.) so it appears that the MAF is hidden underneath all that mess.

Once you remove the engine cover, it should be readily apparent. Do you have the Bently manual? It would be helpful.

Good Luck, and thank you for giving me yet another reason to dislike BMW V-8's!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information