+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 69791 MezzyMarv is an unknown quantity at this point MezzyMarv's Avatar

Yes | No

key ignition wont turn to start position

therefore, the car won't start because of this. Either I replace the key ignition or maybe install some type of a push button switch to bypass the key ignition. Will this work? which wires do I connect to the push button switch? or can I run directly from the starter?

ClydeG

Yes | No

Re: key ignition wont turn to start position

It would help if you had stated the year model of your there are two (blade type) screws on the back of the ignition switch to which attach about 10 wires (look for disconnected wires). Try to tighten the screws (just in case they have somehow backed out). If they are tight (righty tighty, lefty loosey - or clockwise to tighten, counterclockwise to remove) , disconnect the battery and unscrew the them and carefully pull that part back and turn the key in the ignition to see if it rotates into the start position to check the ignition component that the key pins control (locks the steering shaft, etc). If it rotates as it should then that problem is probably eliminated. Next, insert a screwdriver into the electrical switch component of the ignition that you detached and carefully rotate it clockwise to check it. If it rotates and springs back, you can reconnect the battery and carefully (avoid shorting the switch or wires to ground unless you really are masochistic) Some keys are longer than others to better engage the electrical component. About the only other possible problem is that the wire from the ignition switch has become disconnected from the starter (on most 2002s, there are 2 male plugs on the solenoid attached to the battery - and only one of them energizes the solenoid and starter).

Registered Member
    Member No: 69791 MezzyMarv is an unknown quantity at this point MezzyMarv's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: key ignition wont turn to start position

It's a 1973 2002. I've checked the starter connection and seems fine. I will check the key ignition itself in a few days when I'm off. My last result will be to install a push button to start the engine while still using the key by turning on the power. I just need to know which wire that I should connect to the push button switch from the back of key ignition?

Registered Member

Yes | No

which wire????????

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information