+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Alexandria, VA, United States
    Member No: 177472 hardyrxp is an unknown quantity at this point hardyrxp's Avatar
    Yes | No

83 320I 1.8 Manual ? about the A/C System & how to

Hello I have a 1983 320i 5 speed and had a ? to all about the a/c system. Currently everything works on the a/c system compressor blower everything but no cold air as I am sure its out of R12. I would like to know the best way to go about getting the a/c working again. I was told there are 2 options the 1st get a product called Freeze 12 to add in to replace the R12 that is obsolete today. The 2nd option is getting a universal conversion kit from a Auto parts store and Have a mechanic suck out all the old R12 then change the Nipples (hot and cold intake caps) then add in R134 the new stuff. Can someone please advise me as to which option is the better way to go with such a older car to get the A/C back up and blowing cold air. Also if there is a another option not listed here please advise me as well. Thanks very much for your help.

, ,

Yes | No

A/C System - a third option

There is a third option. There are some mechanics who have freon R-12. They are certified to remove it from older cars and reuse it in cars like yours. Ask around if one exists where you live.

If you are going to modify your AC and use R134a, you may want to consider upgrading the inefficient York compressor to a rotary unit. This is the path I will probably have to take eventually. I still use R12 in my AC.

, ,

Yes | No

Re: 83 320I 1.8 Manual ? about the A/C System & how to

Some BMW dealerships, like mine, have stock piled R12. When it runs out I will be forced to replace system. Personally I will find the best way and do it without sparing expense.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information