+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 141384 2001sport740il is an unknown quantity at this point 2001sport740il's Avatar

Yes | No

valve cover gasket

today. here in very cold Southern California. Driving my 2001 sport 740il with 63K miles. Service engine soon light comes as I am driving to post office. I park. Get mail. get back into car and something is not right at first stop light. idling is off or something and light is still on. So I drive to mechanic about 20 minutes away.
    they found cylinder 4 spark plug hole filled with engine oil. Right side needs a new valve cover gasket. I agree. then a few hours later at least, I need a ignition coil for that cylinder.

labor 206
    parts about 60
    ignition coil 87
    diagnosis 50
    parts and oil 26
    total 429

Registered Member
    Member No: 141384 2001sport740il is an unknown quantity at this point 2001sport740il's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: valve cover gasket

why do I see that I am logged in and when trying to add something to above I am told to log in first?
    Can I guess an oil wet spark will not set of service engine soon light, it was a shorted out coil to that cylinder and replacing coil alone would and not doing a fix on where oil is coming from, valve cover gasket?
    and was price about right for southern California.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: valve cover gasket. My 750 is different but

the work and price do not surprise me. It is a DIY job if you do much car work yourself. There are many so ca guys on the e38 forum at bim merboar d dot com who can advise you. Also review e38.org DIY for tips.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information