+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 179486 zezee is an unknown quantity at this point zezee's Avatar

Yes | No

help this "newbie" decide what to buy

Hello owners,
    I am 50+ and looking for a new fun car. I've had an Infinity but really got the best use, over 200,000 miles with modest repairs, out of a practical Nissan. I do not need a 5 or 7 series bmw. I went to a dealer the other day to get an education. they thought I should have a 3 series coupe and didn't think I should even hear about the 1 series. What did I miss? I can only afford an older model that's probably just out of lease. This will be my weekend car, only for fun, trips, not hauling passengers. I am practical so looking for good gas mileage, no repair-drain of money. I don't care about the "frosting" as much as I care about the "cake". Thanks for any advice. Oh, I guess it would have to be about $18-20,000 with some cash down and financing. Is it better to go to a corp. or private dealer? Thanks you so much.

floydr

Yes | No

For that price, E46 M3 Convertible

Go to cars.com or autotrader.com. There are more than 100 convertible M3's from '01-'04 or later with as low as 25K miles.

Yeah, they cost more to maintain than a coupe or sedan (328i, 325i, 330i from before 2007) but you're not going to notice the difference if it's only a weekend car. DO NOT get an SMG.

YRS

Yes | No

A different perspective

I went through the same evolution, after deciding to keep my Audi RS in the garage more. First went with a used M3 (E36) convert in perfect shape but car just kept having minor issues to fix. Then bought a 07 Z4 M Coupe...great car...and will recommend it to anyone, a future classic. But sold it because frankly, it became hard to justify having two high performance cars (the M does NOT get good mileage)as my drivers -- wonderful machine but I like my RS more. Then went to a year old Cooper S...got fed up with torque steer. Then a used Audi TT 225, no torque steer (but numb steering) but niggling and expensive fixes -- would have kept it otherwise. Then a CPO Z4 3.0 convert...the electric steering just couldn't get dialed in...and that was after a steering column replacement. Finally ordered a 128 coupe with nothing but sporty bits...still fun to drive but averaging around 27 mpg so far...the right fit.

BG

Yes | No

A used Z4 may be in your price range

The first version of the Z4 was a nice car. Some folks hated the styling, but what counts is your opinion. And fortunately, they were sold with a higher proportion of manual transmissions than the overall population of BMWs in USA.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4787 rustyh is an unknown quantity at this point rustyh's Avatar

Yes | No

If a weekend, fun type car's what you're looking

for, I'd strongly recommend looking around for a MZ3 Coupe. Not sure I understand how much you're willing to spend ($18-$20k total, or that much down + some financing) so an '01-'02 model might be a little steep. But the '98 - '00 models are certainly within the budget. Different, less powerful engine in the earlier models, but they'll still get up and move very nicely. And they're all about the fun factor. I have an E46 M3 and while I'm happy with the car, it in no way comes near the fun factor of my old MZ3 Coupe ('01). I have no idea what I was thinking when I decided to sell it. I've kicked myself in the rear more than a couple of times over it.

A standard MZ3 convertible is nice too if you're into that kind of thing. And used Z4's are everywhere, and dirt cheap to boot. Comes down to what design suits you best. (plus, the Z3/Z4 community have lots of get-togethers, drives, etc if you might enjoy that kind of thing)

Jim

Registered Member
    Member No: 11819 hollysmac is on a distinguished road hollysmac's Avatar

Yes | No

I have both an E46 M3 Coupe & a Z3 3.0 roadster

The Z3 is a convertible and a wonderful weekend car. THE 3.0 engine in the Z4 will be fast compared to your Nissan. BUT the M3 is whickedly fast and still civilized for a drive to work in rush hour traffic or an outing with the family. I have had the Z3 for over 10 years and 45,000 miles and the M3 for 9 years and 95,000 miles. The Z3 has been cheap to own; but it is still an E36 essentially and much simpler than the newer cars. The M3 has been generously covered by my wonderful dealer (Town BMW -- Buffalo, NY ) and BMW. For a car that pushed the boundaries it really has been quite good and well worth any glitches.

I would suggest you get a dealer CPO car. You may pay more but the warrenty is worth it.

BTW:

I am 2nd on the list for the 1 m coupe and Hopefully they will get 2. If not I will be asking your advice on what to get. It will be either a 135 coupe or a used M3. My son has a business maintaining and restoring BMWs so he can do wonders with a 135. The new 3 seriees are just so big and heavy!

I plan to sell the M3 and keep the Z3 as a toy. It got hit last fall and my son has it for restoration. So it will be newish. The insurance co gave me 16,000 and I bought it back for 19,000 with no salvage title. BMWs really do keep their value.

Holly
    1997 Tire/track utility trailer for both cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Topaz
    2002 M3 Electric Red

I will walk where my own nature would be leading; it vexes me to choose another guide.- E. Bronte

umpchap

Yes | No

What To Buy

I would look for a 2005 0r 2006 330i coupe or convertible with a manual transmission. You might find one with the ZHP package but even if you don't, you'll have a lot of fun. You should be able to find one with mileage in the mid-30K range for around $20K.

Install a short shifter kit (easy) and cold air intake (not so easy).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 155.95.80.253

User Level 1
    Member No: 187350 megadom28 is an unknown quantity at this point megadom28's Avatar

Yes | No
    Hi. Iam thinking of getting this used BMW 1997 523i touring diesel estate with 129,000 miles on it. What do you think could go wrong? and how much do you think I should pay?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 92.20.248.10

User Level 1
    Member No: 187350 megadom28 is an unknown quantity at this point megadom28's Avatar

Yes | No

Is it OK

Hi, I am thinking of getting a BMW 1997 523i touring diesel estate with 129,000 miles on it. What do you think might go wrong on it? and what kind of price do you think would be a fair one to pay?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 92.20.248.10

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information