+ Reply to Thread
    JL

Yes | No

528 Steering Knucle Replacement

My steering wheel doesnt return easily with assistance...mechanic says steering knuckle. Assuming he's right I can get the part for $75. How hard a DIY install is this? An hour or so?

Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 63353 m5guido is an unknown quantity at this point m5guido's Avatar

Yes | No

Steering knuckle replacement?

Are you sure he meant the knuckle? The steering knuckle appears to be the chunk of aluminum that everything on the front suspension bolts to, including the outer tie rod.

If the tie rod is binding then you only need to replace that which you probably can do yourself in a hour if you have the tools.

Bentley describes replacing the tie rod as follows:

Raise Front of car. Remove wheel.

Note: make a reference measurement of outer tie rod end to to tie rod. Accurate measurement of tie rod end with reference to tie rod will help approximate correct wheel alignment when new parts are installed.

Loosen outer tie rod nut from steering knuckle

Press outer tie rod out of steering knuckle using special BMW tool 31 2 240 or equivalent ( 2 lb hammer and pickle fork work pretty well)

Unscrew tie rod end from tie rod shaft

Installation is reverse of removal

Make sure all threaded parts are clean
    use anti-seize paste on inner tie rod threads
    use self locking nuts where applicable
    use tie rod measurement to set toe temporarily
    have car professionally aligned

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©156 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

The steering knuckle, aka carrier, has no >>

moving parts. If it's loose, it's damaged.

Item 2, here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DM63&mospid=47585&btnr=31_0255&hg=31&fg=10

There are arms which connect between it and the chassis. One or more of those joints could be loose.

Look at the red part in this illustration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacPherson_strut
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

JL

Yes | No

Re: Steering knuckle replacement?

Thanks for your input guys.

So, I wonder if this guy was just BSing me (shocker).

If it's not the steering knuckle, any other ideas? Tie rods as Andy suggested?

Thanks all!

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©156 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Have you carefully examined the tie rod>>

ends. If the boots are torn, water and dirt can get in there and cause the joint to seize up.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Registered Member
    Member No: 153102 cn90 is on a distinguished road cn90's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 528 Steering Knucle Replacement

I wrote this recently. Hope this helps.

1998 BMW 528i COMPLETE FRONT SUSPENSION OVERHAUL
    http://www.b---immerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399580

Eurodavid

Yes | No

+1...JL, the only way a knuckle is going

to need replacing (as far as I know) related to steering conditions is under two seconarios: 1st, you had an accident the entailed smacking the knuckle hard enough to deform it (this would mean, most probably, that whole frontend side of the car was totaled, as well as the rim and tire and other components). Or, the other case is if the pressed in steel plugs (in the knuckle) that hold our tie rod, tension strut and traction strut in will not hold that steel plug in anymore (the aluminum has ground away, were even replacing the steel plug does nothing to help). Both of these scenarios are super rare, and as everyone is alluding to here in answers to your post, having the whole knuckle replaced to solve a steering problem is just, well, really, really, really---let me say it again--REALLY damn rare.

On our 528i, it is most likely your tie rod end, and it is something you can get ahold of yourself for about $40-$50, and DIY it yourself. The end tie rod is the easiest out of everything connected to the knuckle (save the shock/strut) to get apart. I've done it before a few times on my 528i, even once whacking the sucker with a 5lb rubber mallet (with a piece of thick flexible plastic behind it) and it popped right out. The preferred method, of course, is a pickle fork or a tie rod joint tool (can get this tool for about $20 a local auto parts store---most all of them work on the tie rod, it's the tension and wishbone strut that gets picky which tool you have.

Good luck! My advice is to shy away from anyone telling my knuckle is bad and thus causing steering problems. It's most likely he/she's had one too many knuckles to the face to know what their talking about.

Eurodavid

JL

Yes | No

Re: +1...JL, the only way a knuckle is going

Thanks for your input as always EuroDavid.

This issue comes and goes (today the steering returns just fine).

I'll get it on a lift and see. I have (2) tie rod ends right -- left and right? The MAF [Oops!] was the guy that claimed my steering knuckle was bad. I havent gone for a 2nd opinion but he could definitely be FULL of it.

This issue doesnt strike me as urgent...? I planned to replace my lower control arms and rear ball joints in about a month and would like to do this at same time unless I am endangering myself.

JL

PS. Could this be screwed alignment too? been a while there...

autoversicherung vergleich
    Member No: autoversicherung vergleich's Avatar

Yes | No

autoversicherung vergleich

Very enlightening and beneficial to someone whose been out of the circuit for a long time.

- Kris

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information