+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 141174 bob96Z3 is an unknown quantity at this point bob96Z3's Avatar

Yes | No

02 330i Broken Driver WIndow

Just bought another bimmer - 02 330i sdn w/106k. Had the whole car baselined last week and all fluids changed.
    Woke up this AM and the driverside window was shattered form the cold.
    I can get replacement for $75 from Junkyard.
    Is there a post that describes the procedures for replacing the window?
    Thx Bob

DeadEd

Yes | No

Re: 02 330i Broken Driver WIndow

I don't know for certain, but I strongly suspect that a DIY for replacing a window regulator will get you 99% of the way there. My only uncertainty is whether the remainder of the old glass / reinsertion of new glass can be removed through the window opening once disconnected from the regulator without removal of additional parts such as weatherstripping. The Bentley manual has a decent description and window regulator DIY's are all over this and other E-46 sites.

jayb

Yes | No

i HAVE changed enough window regulators to

say that if you follow those instuctions, you are right there. It should be easy at that point. Just keep you eyes open what you undo, so you can put it back. Does not seem like a hard job if you have done regulators before. Most important is that you reseal the rain plastic correctly. This is most important--most important.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Replaced the Window and Fixed Regulator

Took door apart following DIY posts.
    Was puzzeled why the the external/left metal bracket would just slide by it self along the wire.
    I ended up taking the regulator out and performing the Jerry Skene procedure with zip ties. Worked great.
    Had no problem putting the window in.
    All in all a successful day. 6 hours and three beers.
    My guess is there was stress on the window because only one (the internal/left) clip was raising and lowering the window, thus causing the window to break.
    Also, the airbag light is on. I thought that would only happened if you went past the first position with key.

DeadEd

Yes | No

Re: Air bag light

When you did the window R&R, did you disconnect the battery before removing the air bag? When I did my passenger window regulator, I disconnected the battery first and did not trip an airbag light. I believe that you will need to go to someone with an airbag reset tool to turn the light off (I think Peake sells one, but it's about $150)

jayb

Yes | No

I thought I read somewhere that you need to wait 10 minutes after disconnecting the battery before disconnecting the air bag wires. I took this to mean that even if the battery is disconnected there may be power in the airbag to inflate. Not sure. I never disconnected the air bag--just looped it with a sting to keep it to the side so it is out of your way. But always disconnected the battery.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I never disconnected battery. I had to adjust the regulator a bunch of times to line up the E7 (the ones in the red plastic that go through the window) screws. There is no way to do this differently. I will find a peake SRS tool. I had hoped that it would not trip if I did not go past the first click.
    I still need to fix the inner liner. I did not put it back right.

jayb

Yes | No

this is common as you know--the liner is a problem

that all of us, including the professionals at the dealer, have had problems reinstalling and then redoing after water collects on the carpet. I am not sure what is the secret about where in the liner more attention need to be given to re-cement it in place, but I alway pay most attention to the bottom 1/4 of the liner in appying the 3M cement made for this job.

Registered Member
    Member No: 162828 grussell is an unknown quantity at this point grussell's Avatar

Yes | No

Use your digital camera to take some close up

shots of what you take apart. This will aid in putting it all back together.95 525i

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information