+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 176178 jkrbalexander is an unknown quantity at this point jkrbalexander's Avatar

Yes | No

What's the knock I hear coming from the engine?

I just changed the oil on my '01 325i at the 157500 mile mark and noticed the knock I've been trying to ignore for the past 3000 miles is getting louder. It sounds like that it might be the water pump, but could be valves. Are there any ways I can know for sure before I start taking things apart?

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

No way to tell for sure but a constant knocking...

is probably engine related
    high pitched knock-lifter
    med to high pitch-rod bearing or wrist pin
    medium to low pitch-main bearing
    subtle ticking-fuel injector
    I hope it's none of the above and you simply have a rock stuck in the tread of your front left tire
    Please report findings when you figure it out

Photobucket
    2008 335i Coupe Alpine PP SP CWP Saddle Heated Seats Comfort Access Sirius iPod PS2s(non-RF!)

Registered Member
    Member No: 176178 jkrbalexander is an unknown quantity at this point jkrbalexander's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: No smoke, no smell

I take some solace in that I haven't noticed any appreciable loss of power and I don't use any oil. My oil light might be staying on a little longer than it should when I start it cold, but it goes out with 15-20 seconds.

I'll have to take it in and hopefully find a mechanic with good ears. Mine aren't as good as they used to be.

Thanks.

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

oil light on for 15-20 seconds is BAD NEWS!

Unless there's something wrong with the pressure sensor, the engine should be up to pressure within 1-3 seconds. Bearing wear would not be evidenced by smoke or loss of power...piston ring and valve wear certainly would be. Have someone perform an oil pressure test. Could be sludge, failing pump, clogged strainer, tired engine...all of the above

Photobucket
    2008 335i Coupe Alpine PP SP CWP Saddle Heated Seats Comfort Access Sirius iPod PS2s(non-RF!)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Maybe it just seems that long

I haven't really timed it and now that you made the point, I'm pretty sure it's not that long. Just a little longer than what I would expect. I can understand after 157K, the engine might be getting a little tired, but overall, it's still running good and I have confidence that it won't leave me stranded.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information