+ Reply to Thread
    Ron K
    , ,

Yes | No

Sirius isn't working...suggestions?

I just bought my '05 330ci ZHP last month and the Sirius was working when I got it. I thought maybe the previous owner had a subscription that hadn't expired yet and I was hoping it was a lifetime plan. After a couple of weeks, and while listening to the Sirius, the music shut off and a message to call 888-539-SIRIUS was being displayed. I just figured my "free" subscription ended.

I got the ESN number by holding the SAT button on the radio. I went on-line to subscribe and tried to activate the radio three times unsuccessfully. I called Sirius and the rep said he sent an activation signal that was different than what I can do on-line and it still didn't work after another three attempts.

He said I should be able to tune to channel 184, which is the "preview" channel, even without a subscription. I can not tune to any channels. All I get is the call Sirius message. He said more than likely I have a bad module and to take it to the BMW dealer.

There is no warranty left on the car, so that is not my first choice.

How do you test a Sirius module? It is the factory unit mounted in the trunk with the two antenna leads goining through an adapter to the puck style antenna. Could it be the adapter? It says "made in china" on it so that makes me think it might be bad.

I have the factory 6 disc changer that is daisy-chained through the Sirius unit and it is working fine. I removed the #7 and #41 radio fuses and left them out overnight to reset everything. Didn't help.

Any other suggestions?

Registered Member
    Darien, CT, United States
    Member No: 19448 dembooks is an unknown quantity at this point dembooks's Avatar
    Yes | No

Sirius reactivation

unplug the Sirius module for 3 minutes.
    plug it back in, call SIRIUS back and have signal sent again
    Be damn sure your reading the ESN number off correctly

Ron K
    , ,

Yes | No

Follow-up Solution

I wanted to get a new antenna and terk splitter to see if that would fix the problem. I bought an un-used Sirius unit on Ebay for $13 that included a new antenna, terk splitter and ALC module. I plugged in the new antenna pieces into the OEM Sirius module. I called Sirius and successfully activated the unit with the first attempt.

I replaced old antenna pieces systematically to the working Sirius unit to see which part was bad. After testing all possible combinations, all of the original pieces still received a good signal. Huh?

I put all of the original pieces back together and placed the antenna under the rear deck. Driving around in all directions resulted in no drop-outs.

I don't know if it was the new antenna pieces that allowed the activation signal to finally be received or if it was just coincidence, but the unit is working again with all of the OEM pieces in place.

I should be able to re-sell the Kenwood unit for more than I paid.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information