+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 40014 asinger12 is an unknown quantity at this point asinger12's Avatar

Yes | No

Have an apparent oil stain on rag top-Help.

Just got a stain on my rag top, think it came from some kind orad crap. I certainly tried hard to remove it and couldn't. My car is always garaged and RaggTop is applied twice a year. First I tried ChemDry, a carbonated cleaner tha works very well on my house carpeting and upholster...nothing. Then Pet Woolite, also very good stuff...nothing. Then 303 cleaner...nothing. Finally, Tuff Stuff...nothing. I was thinking that the stain may be due to some kind of oil, but have no idea what to use next. Although for oil on the driveway, cat litter or corn starch work very nicely as absorbant, but i don't know about using it on the top??? Any suggesstions?

2002 TiSil/Blk 325i SP
    2005 Merlot/Tan Z4 2.5L

Registered Member
    Member No: 139663 cwootten is an unknown quantity at this point cwootten's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Have an apparent oil stain on rag top-Help.

Like you I'm not sure what the junk is on your top and within that lays the lack of a solution. It appears that chemical warfare is not working. You might want to check the PH of the products you've tried. Many times it's just a question of counterating the PH of a stain with it's opposite (alkaline vs. acidic). If everything you have tried is alkaline you might want to try something acidic (think baking soda vs. vinegar and what happens when you mix them - you end up with a PH neutral solution).

If you have access to a carpet cleaning machine with an upholstery attachment I would try that with just plain water. The pressure from the water jets can help loosen the junk and then suck out the vacuum. If it's an oily stain this probably won't help but what the heck. If it is oil based - Dawn for dishes may help break this down (amazing stuff).

Registered Member
    Member No: 40014 asinger12 is an unknown quantity at this point asinger12's Avatar

Yes | No

After a little more research, I've decided to first try some corn starch as an absorbant. I've put it on and will let it sit for a 1/2 day, or so, and then see what happened. If that doesn't work, I'm going to a solution of Dawn...yep, it's rated as good stuff for grease/oil.

2002 TiSil/Blk 325i SP
    2005 Merlot/Tan Z4 2.5L

Registered Member
    Member No: 71351 blaZen is an unknown quantity at this point blaZen's Avatar

Yes | No

Let us know how this turns out.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Will do. Will vacuum the corn starch off tomorrow and if stainis still there, I willuse Dawn.

2002 TiSil/Blk 325i SP
    2005 Merlot/Tan Z4 2.5L

2 Zero

Yes | No

I have used tide mixed with clorox 2 liquid and a scrub brush on my tan top and took off all the marks and stains and looked good as new!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Problem solved...

Vacuumed off teh corn starch and it looks as though it worked. Haven't washed the top yet, but the greased area looks to be cleared. Reason to point out the "not washed yet" is because the corn starch may still be within the fibers and may be masking (tan top, tan starch)any remaining stain. Nonetheless, I'm happy and I can say that corn starch will not do any harm to the top. BTW, although I waited at least a day to use the cs, I certainly do recommend its use asap.

2002 TiSil/Blk 325i SP
    2005 Merlot/Tan Z4 2.5L

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information