+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 116237 635wpb is an unknown quantity at this point 635wpb's Avatar

Yes | No

No Oil Pressure...red oil light...engine squeeling

OMG...turned it on....engine starting to squeel...no oil pressure on gague...oil light on in red...oil good level on dip stick...help.
    looks like this is not pumping oil to the block

what could this be ?...no oil on the ground either

drove home fine...now I start it up and this

bad oil pump ?
    a relay ?

what could this be ?

I definately feel this engine should not be started again...pour some oil in the cylinders?, just incase the the dealer turns it over and puts more hurting on the engine ?

Guys I need help...thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 116237 635wpb is an unknown quantity at this point 635wpb's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: No Oil Pressure...red oil light...engine squeeling

My car is a E46 2002 M3

Registered Member
    Member No: 110885 goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy's Avatar

Yes | No

sounds bad

the early 2002's (October-January production) were ground zero for exploding engines. They got two recalls, one for new connecting (11-02-03)rod bearings and a new oil pump, and a second one for new (different)connecting rod bearings (11-04-04). Only ground zero cars got the first one. I think 2001-2003/2004 got 11-04-04).

They had an extended warranty on 2002's, 100k miles or six years, which ever is less.

You're right on not wanting the engine run further. It will be human nature for the tech's at the dealership to start it up to see/hear for themselves. You'll have to find a dealership/independent shop/service writer/mechanic who aren't [Oops!]. Good luck with that.

Actually, I see you're in Florida. I've have exceptionally good luck with Sandy Sansing BMW in Pensacola. If I buy another BMW, it will be becuase of their great service. They even have a towing company they deal with that tows without tearing off your bumper. BMW Roadside assistance uses the local AAA towing [Oops!], so Sandsing recommends another towing company. I attended a Porsche dealership grand opening reception last year. The owner asked where I bought my BMW. I told them Sandsing, AND THE PORSCHE DEALERSHIP OWNER SAID... "Yeah, they're good people."

The good news is the oil pump can be accesses and replaced through the oil pan without removing the engine. It seems that they could inspect the oil pump to see if it's bad, and to see if there are little pieces of what used to be engine parts clanking around in the oil pan.

It's odd that the car was running fine, and then failed on start-up. It might be just a bad pump, but odds are something broke loose and got sucked up into the oil pump. There's a chance that a tow and and oil pump might put you back on your way. But, more likely, you're screwed.

Mileage? Did your car get the two recall's. Good luck, and please post what happens.

Registered Member
    Member No: 110885 goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy's Avatar

Yes | No

they could pull plugs, turn engine with starter

that would give them an idea of oil pressure or lack thereof, without the full 1000 RPM engine running.

Registered Member
    Member No: 81720 adsingl is on a distinguished road adsingl's Avatar

Yes | No

Correct do NOT start it.

sounds like you spun a bearing (rod), maybe due to loss of pressure/oil pump, but hard to tell. I'd flatbed it to a pro/indy mechanic, tell him all this. Oil in the cylinder - won't help starved bearings, and in my experience on S52 engine, you'll cause wear at the top/cams VERY quickly, so if you re-start it, know that you are causing more damage.
    Probably removing both the valve cover to inspect cams, and oil pan to pull a few bearings for inspection, ensure pump is being driven, etc.
    Good luck, sounds bad.
    Might want to try another board, like M3 f o rum d ot net; this board is fairly dead.
    ADS

Registered Member

Yes | No

better than running engine,but still not good idea

pro'lly just bite the bullet and pay them to go in through the oil pan an see what's going on.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information