+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 177528 gggamut is an unknown quantity at this point gggamut's Avatar

Yes | No

E38... what about an 65-85mph shimmy?

I've read a lot about the 45 or the 55 mph shimmy, but my ride does it above 65 mph as high as 85 mph and sometimes during heavy breaking and sometimes when just cruising in a straight line. I would imagine that I would have to replace both control and thrust arms, but can anyone confirm that there isn't a deeper problem? Please help, thanks.

gggamut

OB in VA

Yes | No

Re: E38... what about an 65-85mph shimmy?

See the thread below. Do you get the vibration in the steering wheel or your butt.

I also got a clunking sound at slow speed, like when going over a speed bump, that was the center steering link.

If you can get under the car with a set of channel locks you can grab and twist the suspension components. This may give you an idea about what has play. Check the front and rear.

MRHNIC

Yes | No

How many miles on your car?

Registered Member
    Member No: 128166 nelsgood is an unknown quantity at this point nelsgood's Avatar

Yes | No

It's definitely something in front suspension. WWW.e38.org has an excellent article on replacing all parts, and I was able to replace all parts for about $700 including the cost of a front end service kit.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information