+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 111509 dergelbebmw is an unknown quantity at this point dergelbebmw's Avatar

Yes | No

Yellow sludge around the oil cap

I'm having some problems with my manual BMW 330Xi '01. Underneath the oil cap, I have found this yellow sludge, that I believe is a mix of water and oil and this has persisted for the last couple months. There has been no white, sweet smelling smoke coming out the tailpipe, even though the coolant level did drop half a cup in the past 3 months, so I don't think it's a head gasket failure, but I'm not for sure. Also, I typically drive long distances, so I don't think the excess water could be from just driving it short distances in the cold weather without first properly heating it up. I don't know how the excess water from combustion in the crank case usually exits the engine, so another idea was the PCV Valve. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

no pcv...oil separator instead.

could be time for an engine crankcase vent system overhaul. See previous posts on this page

Photobucket
    2008 335i Coupe Alpine PP SP CWP Saddle Heated Seats Comfort Access Sirius iPod PS2s(non-RF!)

Dan C

Yes | No

Re: no pcv...oil seperator instead.

I have an '01 330xi as well. I saw this yellow stuff too when I changed my oil last weekend. I've noticed it several times myself. I've been doing my own oil changes for the 3 years I've owned the car. Typically, I see this in the Winter months and not in the Summer. I've always attributed it to the engine not adequately warming up in my short commute to the office in cold weather. I also do far less driving in the Winter too, and I thought that played a part too.

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

I expect that you are correct...and this could be

leading up to the same problem that has been(recently) discussed in detail.

Photobucket
    2008 335i Coupe Alpine PP SP CWP Saddle Heated Seats Comfort Access Sirius iPod PS2s(non-RF!)

Registered Member
    Member No: 111509 dergelbebmw is an unknown quantity at this point dergelbebmw's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I expect that you are correct...and this could be

Thanks guys. I'll look up the other thread HBWT.

Registered Member
    Member No: 12304 JKidd is an unknown quantity at this point JKidd's Avatar

Yes | No

Those driving conditions contribute.

I think the only reason my CCV lasted so long (135k miles) was that 95% of the time, the car gets up to temp and I don't make a lot of short trips with a freshly started car.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information