+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Nyman

Yes | No

Flooded Engine...need help..please read

So this damn rainstorm f'ed up my engine and I got water in it. Its at the dealer right now and the service rep thinks it will be totalled. I would prefer to keep my car even if the engine needs to be rebuilt but my insurance also says that if the price to fix the car is close to the current value of the car they are just going to total it.
    So what do you guys think I should do? I bought this car right out and it was running great with about 93k on it. I love it and dont want to buy a used one to replace mine. Getting a new car is out of the question since i'm back in school full time. Can a pro shop repair the engine at a lesser cost then totaling the car? THanks for the help.

Registered Member
    Member No: 24397 Dyavalon is on a distinguished road Dyavalon's Avatar

Yes | No

Repair at a shop is going to be expensive, period.

I am assuming the car was at least partially submerged, or driven through water deep enough to cause the engine to stop.

In that later case it is probably that the engine has hydraulic locked, which means bent valves and possibly bent rods. Bad news.

Any of the oiled, and lubed parts, once submerged should be disassembled, cleaned, relubricated, then reassembled. This is time consuming and expensive.

Total loss would mean the car would need to be rebuilt, most likely. On the plus side, if you do get totaled, the insurance companies will generally pay our more than a fair sale valve for the car in these situations, which should allow you to get another car with less miles, possibly a newer car. It will be used, but that honestly isn't all that much to be scared of.

Nyman

Yes | No

Dealer just called...said car is running and....

seems to be running normally. Can't communicate with the car tho but they took out the interior to let it dry out and prevent any moisture from staying in the car. keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Nyman

Yes | No

Can anyone tell me what else should i look...

for? My insurance adjuster still hasn't visited the car and I would like to be prepared when he does and to prevent any other damage from occuring. Thanks!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 24397 Dyavalon is on a distinguished road Dyavalon's Avatar

Yes | No

Did they remove the carpet as well?

How deep was the water?

Nyman

Yes | No

Insurance totalled it...said water got too close

to the seats and they are afraid of electrical issues. Anyone know of any for sale in good condition?

Registered Member
    Member No: 11819 hollysmac is on a distinguished road hollysmac's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Flooded Engine...need help..please read

My 2001 Z3 3.0 with 45000 was just totaled because of age.

The repair was 11,000
    I got 15900 settlement less 250 deductable.
    I bought it back for 1900

Because the car is over 8 years old the title will not be a Salvage title and I can keep the title registration and plates current. It will be reported as a totaled car but I plan to keep it forever as a toy anyway.

They cancelled the collision but when my son repairs it I can get collision back again.

I am lucky because My son had his own shop and has done fabrication and restoration on BMWs.

Holly
    1997 Tire/track utility trailer for both cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Topaz
    2002 M3 Electric Red

I will walk where my own nature would be leading; it vexes me to choose another guide.- E. Bronte

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information