+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 103022 jimslade is an unknown quantity at this point jimslade's Avatar

Yes | No

ignition coil questions

hey guys, been a while since i've been on the 'board.
    Couple questions about ignition coils... my coils went out the other day... crap idle, no power...

Turns out 4 coils were bad. had them replaced.
    1) what causes these ig.coils to go out? specifically 4 at the same time? shop couldn't say why but seems to me there'd be something to cause 4 to go at once.
    2) anyone had coils replaced recently that i can cost-compare against?
    3) see some posts that there was a recall coils at one time. should that be covered no matter the age of the car? or does the recall expire at some point? i have a 2002 w/ 75k miles and am long out of warranty..

many thanks!
    jim

Registered Member
    Member No: 24397 Dyavalon will become famous soon enough Dyavalon's Avatar

Yes | No

No idea why 4 at once...

Service Bulletin info below:
    Hope it helps!

"SI B 12 24 05
    Engine Electrical Systems February 2006
    Technical Service
    This Service Information Bulletin replaces S.I. B12 02 04 dated March 2005.

SUBJECT
    S54B32- Special Limited Ignition Coils Warranty of 8 Years/Unlimited Miles

MODEL
    MY '01, '02, '03 E46 - M3 coupe/convertible with S54 engine

MY '01, '02 E36/7 - M roadster/coupe with S54 engine

SITUATION
    BMW has become aware of a potential problem that could affect the durability of Bremi ignition coils of certain MY' 2001, 2002, and 2003 BMW automobiles equipped with the Motorsport S54B32 engines. We estimate that only a small percentage of vehicles will actually develop a problem. Affected vehicles may have a Service Engine Soon light illuminated with misfire faults stored in the Engine Control Module (DME) and a rough running complaint.

CORRECTION
    In the event that the Bremi ignition coils of a 2001, 2002, 2003 E46 (M3 coupe/convertible), or 2001, 2002 E36/7 (M roadster, M coupe) with S54B32 engine exhibit the symptoms of failure indicated above, they should be replaced with the improved ERA part (PN 12 13 7 551 260). For ignition coils replacing instruction refer to RA 12 13 511 found in BMW TIS.

PARTS INFORMATION
    Part Number
    Description
    Quantity
    12 13 7 551 260
    ERA coil
    Max 6
    WARRANTY INFORMATION
    As a commitment to our customers, and to demonstrate our confidence in our product, BMW will extend the warranty of the Bremi ignition coils from 4 years or 50,000 miles to 8 years and unlimited miles.

The warranty extension for this component applies to the above listed models only and is transferable to any subsequent purchaser of these models.

This extended warranty is applicable to vehicles registered in all 50 states.

Warranty coverage for all other parts is not affected.

BMW will inform all affected owners of the above listed models of their extended Bremi ignition coils warranty. A sample letter is attached.

The following Warranty Information should be used if Bremi ignition coils replacement becomes necessary as outlined above:

Defect Code
    12 13 93 14 00
    Replace Bremi ignition coils. Includes deleting any
    misfire fault codes stored in the Engine Control
    Module (ECM/DME)
    Main Work
    Labor Operation:
    Labor Allowance:
    00 54 124
    11 FRU - E46 M3 with S54
    8 FRU E36/7 M roadster/coupe with S54
    +Associated Work
    Labor Operation:
    Labor Allowance:
    00 54 692
    9 FRU E46 M3 with S54
    6 FRU E36/7 M roadster/coupe with S54
    Note: The following explanations spell out the correct use of the work times.

Main Work:
    Use this labor operation number when the only repair performed is the listed warranty repair.
    OR
    +Associated Work:
    Use this labor operation number when other repairs or services are performed along with the listed warranty repair.
    Under no circumstances should both labor operation numbers be claimed. Attempts to claim both times will result in an unnecessary delay in claim processing and payment."
    "

Registered Member
    Member No: 110885 goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy's Avatar

Yes | No

"precision engineering"

sorta like door gaskets, both of mine went withing a few months ofeach other, when I parked the car outside in the summer (something BMW's weren't designed to tolerate).

Registered Member
    Member No: 103022 jimslade is an unknown quantity at this point jimslade's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks Grim! mine is a 11/01 build so as usual

the coils would have to have failed before 11/09 to be covered under the recall. :)

Registered Member

Yes | No

yeah, i replaced dash trim w/ brushed aluminum but

didn't take apart the door to trade out the titanium shadow door trim...
    one summer of parking outside at work and that trim is completely cracked. looks like $hite. brushed alum. is fine so i may have to pull apart the door after all....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information