+ Reply to Thread
    Syncro

Yes | No

How to remove the battery metal holder arm?

Am I a missing something obvious here? I have a 2003 S-Type R and the battery died on me. I got a replacement battery, connected the leads to test it out and it works. Now I want to physically remove the old battery, but I can't figure out how to remove the tall vertical bolt that holds the plastic battery retainer and the swing arm that bolts to the frame to hold the battery in place.

I tried with a rachet and pliers and it's not tirning. Used WD40 on the base..nothing. Is there a specific tool to use or am I missing something really simple?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Scout

Yes | No

Re: How to remove the battery metal holder arm?

Well, you're on the right track already. It's a normal long bolt that goes down through the floor of the spare tyre compartment. Nothing magical about it, but it is SERIOUSLY prone to getting stuck, because the bolt goes through the floor and is exposed to the elements from the other side, and that rust just wants to climb up the threads until the bolt is well rusted in.
    Recommend you crawl underneath, wire brush off any build-up that may be on the bolt underneath (it sticks through a quarter of an inch or so), WD-40 it from underneath, more WD-40 from above... then application of torque on the bolt. Lather, rinse, and repeat. It will eventually come loose.
    Actually, in my case, I also had to put a vise-grips lower down on the bolt at the same time as the socket wrench and twist like crazy on both.
    It will come loose. Patience. WD-40, torque, WD-40, torque.

syncro

Yes | No

Spend a lovely sunny afternoon underneath the car, trying to get the damn bolt of the washer. My arsenal: WD-40, penatrating oil AND PB Blaster.
    I agree that PB blaster works best with the rust, but the nut underneath the frame wouldn't budge after hours of sparying, tapping, hitting, twisting, bending...you name it.

Seems like it's fused to the bolt threads. I think the bolt was giving me the British bird. So I got tired of this BS, took out my trusty Dremel and there goes the bolt. Within 5 minutes of cutting the bolt, I had the new battery in place, the Jag was purring, but alas no bolting system.

Examining the bolt, it's really sad how luxury car companies (not just Jaguar, mind you) try to pad their dealers accounts. Instead of good old 1/4" bolt with a bold nut head and a wind nut to hold it firmly in place, they used this "special" bolt with the small washer fused in to keep the restraining arm in place. One of the Jaguar dealers, I contacted, wanted $34 for the part! Ha!

Off to Home Depot and after spending $5 worth of bolts, regular bolts, wing nuts and washers, I came back and finished it. It's actually better and easier to attach/remove then the Jaguar "special" system. Plus the new battery, the Duralast Gold (H6-DLG, vented) is smaller and has a higher output. Not cheap for $160, but well worth it.

Thanks for everyone's input. Learned quite a bit and hopefully my travails can save someone else a bit of time and tufts of hair.

Bill Weigold

Yes | No

Thanks for the tip. I was turning the long bolt then it sort of stopped turning until I applied more pressure then I started hearing a grinding noise. Little did I know that the bolt went through the body of the car. I put some lubrication fluid on the side of the bolt and let it run down. I then un-tighten and re-tighten the bolt a few times anuntil it easily removed. Aren't these types of forums great. Thabk you.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information