+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 70863 crazy4bimmers is an unknown quantity at this point crazy4bimmers's Avatar

Yes | No

Driver Window won't go down

This happened without warning.

The driver window won't go down. I removed the door panel and inspected the switch assembly. Since the wire harness was exposed, I jumpered the correct wires and made the window go down and back up, thus eliminating the motor.

I completely disassembled the switch assembly and found some corrosion on the circuit board in the area of an electronic relay.

I replaced the switch assembly and the result is the same - window won't go down.

Am I missing something? Also, I am working without a Bentley or other wiring schematic material**************
    THE FLEET
    2001 BMW X5 3.0L
    1997 Z3 1.9L
    1994 740iL M60
    1988 528e
    1994 Jaguar XJS 4.0L

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Need new switch assembly?

When you say you "replaced the switch assembly" do you mean you put the old one back in, after cleaning off the corrosion? Or that you put a new switch assembly in?

If you the old one back in and it still doesn't work, I'd say the switch assembly is shot. Look for a junkyard replacement.

If the window works when you jumper the wires right at the switch, then it surely has to be the switch. QED.

But check the connector to the switch assembly as well. From a statistical standpoint, connectors are one of the highest failure modes. Check for corrosion and arcing at the connectors. Clean and apply dielectric grease.

Registered Member
    Member No: 70863 crazy4bimmers is an unknown quantity at this point crazy4bimmers's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Need new switch assembly?

Clarification: I purchased a new switch assembly from the dealership.

Sorry for the confusion.

I will check the connectors but they did look clean.

Something else I found odd.

There was a small harness with an orange LED at the end in the area of the door speaker. I wonder what purpose that LED serves?**************
    THE FLEET
    2001 BMW X5 3.0L
    1997 Z3 1.9L
    1994 740iL M60
    1988 528e
    1994 Jaguar XJS 4.0L

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Orange LED

I can't remember if this car has lighted switches, but I would suspect it is something like that. Does it look like the light plugs into the switch or something?

If jumpering the new switch works, something is very odd. Or the new switch is defective (it happens).

Did you try measuring contact resistance on the new and old switches with a volt-ohm meter?

Also, check to be sure the plugs are properly seated. They use those BMW "bails" to secure them, and sometimes they do not snap down all the way.

Good luck.

Registered Member
    Member No: 96604 XZ-Driver is an unknown quantity at this point XZ-Driver's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Need new switch assembly?

On my 2001 X5 3.0 there is a small LED in each of the door opening latches. I believe this is to help you find the latch at night. Check to see if there is a small hole located in the latch cavity. Maybe the LED was removed when the door panel was removed and never replaced back into the socket.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information