+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 180089 Bob767 is an unknown quantity at this point Bob767's Avatar

Yes | No

Tire Pressure Monitor broken, dealer stumped !

I have a 2004 BMW 330Cic. In late 2007 I began having probems with the tire pressure monitoring system (TPM) giving me false low tire pressure indictions. Eventually, the system totally failed and would not reset.

History of problem:

Originally this car was equipped with 17" Goodyear Eagle RS-A EMTs (run flats.) After those tires wore out from normal use in 2006, I changed the from the run flats to the regular (non-run flat) Goodyear Eagles. (Other than not being run flat anymore, the tires are otherwise the same brand, model, and size.)

About 18 months later (2007) I noticed the TPM would occasionally give false low pressure warnings, despite tire pressure being normal. As time progressed, these false warnings went from occasional to frequently, then to constant. Once this problem became a constant occurance, I would reset the system, only to get a false warning occur after a few miles of driving. Finally, I couldn't even get the sytem to reset at all.

The dealer service dept said it was probably because my (2nd set of )tires were by now getting worn (less than 50% tread remaining,) and that when I did finally replace the tires, the problem would likely go away. I had my doubts, but I none-the-less drove the car with that annoying TPM light on for a very long time. Those tires were replaced 2 months ago with a new set of the exact same ones. Surprise surprise, that didn't fix it.

So I took the car to the dealer last month. They found that the TPM's computer module, called a RST, was inoperative. They replaced it, ($700.) But the problem didn't completely go away. With the new RST, I am once again now able to reset the TPM, (a slight improvment in the problem,) but after driving anywhere from a few minutes to about a half hour, the false TPM warnings still occur.

So back to the dealer it went. They inspected the sensors at the wheels which checked out OK. They even replaced the RST with second one in case the first one was bad. In short, they told me they checked everything they could with respect to the TPM system

They are stumped.

At this point, I would be happy if they could simply disable the TPM system to extinguish the annoying warning light.

Suggestions?

Help!

Stinger9

Yes | No

You're not making me super jealous that I don't

have this advanced system to make my life much better! What a waste of time for people who can't use a tire pressure gauge.

Dealers will say anything to get rid of you today, even if it means you'll be back tomorrow complaining. Human nature I guess for people without brains.
    So they told you new tires would cure what ails you? With what logic was that? none

For $700 I'm not sure I just wouldn't have removed the dash warning light and made sure my old tire pressure gauge was in the glove box all the time. Dash assembly removes quite easily as I recall, and all you'd need is someone halfway clever with wiring. But then there is the Federal requirement that this system function correctly, which if it threw a code would cause you to fail state inspection. I think.

Please come back and let us know your ultimate solution?

Registered Member
    Member No: 16070 BlueMW is an unknown quantity at this point BlueMW's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Tire Pressure Monitor broken, dealer stumped !

Try changing the tire sender unit batteries.

Registered Member
    Member No: 180089 Bob767 is an unknown quantity at this point Bob767's Avatar

Yes | No

OK, here is the final chapter.

In short, they are all still stumped. They brought in the BMW NA regoinal technical engineer to help diagnose the problem and he can't figure it out either.

All systems and components check OK. The TPM transmitters are are transmitting. The receiver works. The computers work. The engineer even hooked up his laptop to these units to double check the readings.

But when the car is put back together, for some reason unknown to all....including the engineer, the TPM system is not reading tire pressure after system initialization.

They said the only last thing they could check would be to put run-flat tires back on and re-test, troubleshooting from there. But there is no guarantee that would work either.

They also offered to disable the TPM completely and be done with it.

I am choosing the latter. I think the TPM system is dumb anyway. And I'm not going back to using those insufferable run-fats. It's not like I can't easily check my tires with a pressure guage.

In conclusion, here is yet another BMW electronic gizmo which is unimpressive. [Like the I-Drive.] It would be nice if BMW would stick to their roots of building great performing cars .....without all the superfluous bells and whistles.

Bob767
    2004 BMW 330Cic
    2007 BMW X3
    -------------
    previous BMWs...
    2005 BMW X3 3.0
    1994 BMW 740iL
    1995 BMW 318i

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

A Victory for Mankind! Congratulations!

That's what everyone with this dumb system should end up with.

Damn legislating minutia! Congress never saw a jackass law they didn't vote in favor of.

GC71

Yes | No

I have got the same problem on a 2002 320ci, after driving for about 15 minutes the yellow warning light comes on even though the tyre pressures are correct. Have read the fault codes using INPA it says that the internal batteries in the sensors are low. I have since found out that these batteries have a life span of about 6 years and can not be replaced, you have to replace the sensor. Using INPA you can see the values of all the tyre pressures and the wheel positions, as the batteries are low the system does not recognise the wheel position so puts the warning light on. Have tried to reset the system and re-learn the wheel positions but it does not recognise one wheel. The senosrs are 72 each from the dealer and the valve stem is about 8.
    There is an option to put the system into sleep mode but I have not had any success with this.
    Hope this helps.

Unregistered

Yes | No

Black tape.

I have the same issue with my 2004 330ci. Tomorrow I am going to cut a small square of black electrical tape and put it on the instrument panel just in front of the low pressure warning LED.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob767 View Post
    I have a 2004 BMW 330Cic. In late 2007 I began having probems with the tire pressure monitoring system (TPM) giving me false low tire pressure indictions. Eventually, the system totally failed and would not reset.

History of problem:

Originally this car was equipped with 17" Goodyear Eagle RS-A EMTs (run flats.) After those tires wore out from normal use in 2006, I changed the from the run flats to the regular (non-run flat) Goodyear Eagles. (Other than not being run flat anymore, the tires are otherwise the same brand, model, and size.)

About 18 months later (2007) I noticed the TPM would occasionally give false low pressure warnings, despite tire pressure being normal. As time progressed, these false warnings went from occasional to frequently, then to constant. Once this problem became a constant occurance, I would reset the system, only to get a false warning occur after a few miles of driving. Finally, I couldn't even get the sytem to reset at all.

The dealer service dept said it was probably because my (2nd set of )tires were by now getting worn (less than 50% tread remaining,) and that when I did finally replace the tires, the problem would likely go away. I had my doubts, but I none-the-less drove the car with that annoying TPM light on for a very long time. Those tires were replaced 2 months ago with a new set of the exact same ones. Surprise surprise, that didn't fix it.

So I took the car to the dealer last month. They found that the TPM's computer module, called a RST, was inoperative. They replaced it, ($700.) But the problem didn't completely go away. With the new RST, I am once again now able to reset the TPM, (a slight improvment in the problem,) but after driving anywhere from a few minutes to about a half hour, the false TPM warnings still occur.

So back to the dealer it went. They inspected the sensors at the wheels which checked out OK. They even replaced the RST with second one in case the first one was bad. In short, they told me they checked everything they could with respect to the TPM system

They are stumped.

At this point, I would be happy if they could simply disable the TPM system to extinguish the annoying warning light.

Suggestions?

Help!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 209.33.43.232

User Level 1
    Member No: 199685 Mizzbmw is an unknown quantity at this point Mizzbmw's Avatar

Yes | No
    Had same problem, got a 54 plate 325 ci with mitchellin pilot sport tyres. Light on dash kept coming on to say had low tyre pressure even when tyres were replaced, no probs with handling etc. but really annoying with that bloody light & tyre having to get pumped up every 50 miles or so. Got alloys refurbished in July & problem solved, light has never come on again, fingers crossed, think it was the valve which garage replaced during alloy refurb.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 90.201.42.220

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information