+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 59644 p.devita is an unknown quantity at this point p.devita's Avatar

Yes | No

HELP - Where is the Oil Going?!

My wife has a 2001 3.0 X5 with 100K miles. I change the oil every 3K miles, used to use Mobil Clean 7500 (5W30), but switched to Castrol 5W30 High Mileage Vehicle in April of 2009.

Last oil change I noticed I only got 5 quart ts out vs. the normal 7 to 8.

I haven't been very attentive over the winter and missed a 3,000 mile oil change interval and today I drove it and heard tapping when the engine was running. Dip stick came up dry. Had to add 4 quarts to get it to reach the dipstick.

Since was 6,000 miles since the last oil change I did one ASAP! Tapping sound is gone and 8 new quarts of oil and a filter in there.

QUESTION:

Where is the oil going, I have no dripping under the car and no visible oil burning or smell of burning oil. For the most part the car appears to be normal except for the oil level?

I will now check the oil level every month, but this seems very odd.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and ideas where the oil is going?

Could it have anything to do with the switch to high mileage vehicle variant of oil?

Thanx,

<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]"><B>Peter</b></a>

<A HREF="http://members.roadfly.com/p.devita/index.htm">My 8 web site.</A>

1995 840CiA Cosmos Black/Black

floydr

Yes | No

It's going where it normally goes

Look, all motors use oil. BMW specs allow up to 1 quart per 1000 miles or so (perhaps a bit more), so 4 quarts in 6000 miles is well within tolerance.

There's a really big problem with your oil selection. What you have chosen to use does *NOT* meet any standard that BMW specifies for that motor. They use the European ACEA standards; the long life A3/B3 is what the original oil meets. If you change before the computer tells you to (15K or so), you can use A5/B5. Mobil 1 0w40 meets A3/B3, and regular Mobil 1 5W-30 meets A5/B5 - those are the only Mobil oils you should be using. Castrol makes the BMW OEM oil.

Those are all synthetics, and are formulated to meet *ALL* the needs of the engine, including driving the VANOS hydraulics, and with the proper additives to prevent wear in the all-aluminum construction and such. By using an oil (actually even your Mobil choice was not correct) not specced, all bets are off.

One thing you need to check is the PCV - it may get clogged by excessive moisture during cold weather months. The E46 board has info on that, if you search it.

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Valve cover gasket leak, cyclone separator

The valve cover gaskets do leak over time, and will drop a quart of oil between changes, maybe more. Check your manifold heat shield, is it silver or does it have gold splotches on it? If the latter, those are stains from an oil leak.

I have not done the cyclone separator deal yet (see posts below) but have replaced the valve cover gasket which is not hard to do. Good time to change spark plugs, too.

You may also just be burning oil. According to BMW and GM, burning a quart as often as every 1000 miles is considered "normal" oil consumption. I check my oil with nearly every fillup.

There is nothing wrong with a car that consumes some oil, and it is to be expected as cars age. Provided it does not leave embarrassing clouds behind it or loses so much compression that it hardly runs. Otherwise, carry a spare quart or two and forgetaboutit. Its just a used car at this point.

See link below for pix on valve cover gasket. Sorry about the video ads. They added that recently. Turn the sound down on your computer.

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Good information, thanks.

I the car is never run at cold temperatures (below 50 degrees say) do you really need a 0W or 5W oil?

Just asking, not trying to start an oil discussion.

Finding Mobil 1 in the 0W or 5W range is sometimes hard, but the discount stores have 10W30 all day long.....at good prices, too.

I used to use Voll Synthase, but you know, spending nearly $10 on a quart of oil on car worth less than my sofa seems kind of wasteful....

I am going oil shopping next week, I'll see if I can snag a supply of the Mobil 1 5W-30 based on your comment.

100K miles on mine and doesn't burn a drop, now that the valve cover gasket is fixed, anyway. And I tow with it.

floydr

Yes | No

Costco carries Mobile 1 5W-30 12/$25 or so

0W-40 can be found ($$$) at most auto parts stores.

But the OEM Castrol from the dealer is about as cheap as anything, actually.

I have yet to find a source for the oil for my 335d other than the dealer.

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Thanks! I'll look there.

How do you like the diesel?

A friend of mine traded his 30,000 mile five-series on one, for the gas mileage, he said. I am not sure it was such a smart move, but someone ended up with an immaculate five series out of the deal.

He says he is getting in the mid to high 30's in terms of mileage.

My 1997 328iC's do low 30's without much effort.

His 335d is a nice car, even with the run-flats and all.

The only problem I have with the E90 et seq is that I hit my head on the A pillar getting in an out of them.

I should have bought his fiver!

Registered Member
    Member No: 59644 p.devita is an unknown quantity at this point p.devita's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks, I'll check that tonight.

Registered Member

Yes | No

definitely a leak there, so I'll change that

Registered Member

Yes | No

Then I've never used the right oil in this car.

Execpt the one or two times I used Mobil 1 5W30...

I'll get the Mobil 1 0W40 and swap it.

Thanx,

Registered Member
    Member No: 6805 hlgilbert is an unknown quantity at this point hlgilbert's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: HELP - Where is the Oil Going?!

When the PCV valve (or whatever you call it on a BMW) on an old 750 clogged I went from a half quart in 1,000 miles to two or three quarts in 1,000 miles.

I suspected something was wrong with the PCV valve and took the oil filler cap off while the motor was running. It should have made a giant sucking sound and the motor stumble, but instead it blew the cap out of my hand. Tremendous pressure. It was pushing the oil past the rings and out every orifice. Had it replaced and everything was back to normal. You might also check the plugs while you're in there. See if they are oily.

FWIW

Good luck!

robertplattbell

Yes | No

I suspect no major harm done...

Variable viscosity oils are used for different temperature rages. If, like me, you live always in temperate regions, then the lower viscosity range oils may not be a big issue.

On the other hand, if you live in Potsdam, NY and are starting the car in -10 DEGF weather, that's a different story....

floydr

Yes | No

I'd be worried about ZDDP, not viscosity

The HTHS requirements, and zinc/phosphate limits in the ACAE spec worry me much more than the viscosity.

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Is there that much difference?

Is there that much difference between 5W30 and 10W30?

Just curious, it sounds like you know about this.....

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Assuming both are Mobil 1, of course.

floydr

Yes | No

I had a nice long reply, but lost it...

Little difference between synthetics, low viscosity only for fuel economy.

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Thanks.

I don't want to start a long oil thread, either.

My general feeling, after years of reading oil flame wars (You just can't reason with Amsoil people, they are like Scientologists!) is that:

1. Having oil in your crankcase is generally a good thing.

2. Changing it occasionally is generally a good thing, too.

3. Anything beyond that is style points.

My cars are so old, have such low miles on them, and are driven so little, it will be a decade before they hit 100,000 miles. There really is no advantage to over-servicing a $5000 car...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information