+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    , , United States
    Member No: 173961 ikirika is an unknown quantity at this point ikirika's Avatar
    Yes | No

opps! Steering wheel problems

This is a great forum.!!
    My steering wheel sounds as if something is breaking when turning maximum lock to the drivers' side. the steering wheel feels jammed when i try to turn it back the other way.

After reading a few related posts here in the forum, wheel bearings seem to pop up a few times.

By the way would anyone know the exact symptoms of worn tie rod ends and ball joints.
    My second problem is that there is a slight shudder on the s/wheel when when i apply brakes of when driving on a rough patch of the road. The steering also sometimes turns to the right or left when i apply the breaks.
    i installed new control arms and bushes followed by a wheel alignment 3 months ago. My tires are in good condition - 1 yr old. There are no power steering oil leaks.
    Any thoughts or has this happened to anyone else?
    2002 325ci 50k miles

User Level 8
    chesapeake, VA, United States
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar
    Yes | No

get under the car with a large pair of...

Channel-lock pliars and squeeze the tie rod ends firmly forcing the ball into the socket. There should be Zero play. If there is any play you need new end(s). Whenever I've had to replace 1, I do them all. You'll need an alignment after replacement. Tie-rod end problems/wear should have been picked up by the guy that did you most recent alignment. You may have other issues going on so unless you are mechanically inclined you should have the vehicle's steering and suspension components thoroughly inspected very soon. Do NOT put this off.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information