+ Reply to Thread
    Brian DeLano

Yes | No

Extend maintenance

I am trying to decide if I should extend the maintenance on my 2006 M5. It has 47,000 miles and has new front brakes. I am sure it will need rears before I sell in a few years and I am wondering about the clutch. The dealer said the clutch is very expensive.
    The extended maintenance is $3495.00 two years or up to 100,000 miles.

Does anyone have an idea of how long a clutch should last or has anyone had any other costly items that needed to be fixed that I should be aware of in order to help decide what to do?
    Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 7007 calypsodiver is an unknown quantity at this point calypsodiver's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Extend maintenance

Can't tell you about M-5 clutch for two reasons - 1) I just got my M-5 - a 2007 in pristine condition, 2) my previous ride is a 1998 540i/6-speed Sport. That one still has the original clutch at 98k miles.
    I'm not easy on a clutch but for me, they hold up well. 1st BMW was a 1979 320i with a 5-speed I got new in 1979. Sold that at 97k miles with original clutch.
    Clutch wear depends on a couple factors: 1) do you ride the pedal when stopped? (wears out pilot bearings faster) 2) Do you slip the clutch a lot when changing gears? 3) do you race the car? 4) are you the only driver?
    Ideally, "no" answers to the first three, and a "yes" to #4 will likely result in longer clutch life.
    Otherwise, I've heard commonly 70k for hard usage, up to ~100k for generally easy usage.CalypsoDiver

Registered Member
    Member No: 147626 94583 is an unknown quantity at this point 94583's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Extend maintenance

extend it. It will pay for itself after the rear brake job, oil service in between and clutch. Price out a clutch job and you'll see how much it costs.

User Level 1
    Member No: 189785 millskyle is an unknown quantity at this point millskyle's Avatar

Yes | No
    this is the same problem i am to facing but did not find solution till now?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 123.237.202.226

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information