+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 75390 calvinqh is an unknown quantity at this point calvinqh's Avatar

Yes | No

Aftermarket intake cause mass air flow sensor fail

Hello all,

I have a 2005 330CIC zhp which I love as a weekend car. It's still under warranty, and though I love the OEM look of it, I started to tinker with aftermarket upgrades.

One of the first thing I tried was East Coast Induction's Intake, which seemed to give me a bit more boost. Had it for about 1 month (500 miles, don't drive much), but then the SES (service engine soon) light came on over the weekend.

Under warranty, but didn't want to have dealer see my ECI intake, I put the stock intake back on, and took it to dealer. The dealer ran many tests and diagnosed it as Mass Air Flow Sensor failure, and replaced it.

Now, I'm not sure if I should put the ECI intake back on as I am afraid, this may have caused the original SES light to come on. I searched the board, but found no info. Is it just a coincidence or can aftermarket intake 'confuse' the OEM mass air flow sensor?

Thanks in advance,
    Calvin

|| 98 540iA Sport || Don't have time for MODS yet ||

floydr

Yes | No

There appear to be cases where it does

If you search here, you'll find other tales like yours.

Registered Member
    Member No: 59809 jsk977 is an unknown quantity at this point jsk977's Avatar

Yes | No

Never had a problem

FWIW, I've had the same ECIS CAI on two successive 330Ci's since 2001(2001 & 2004 models) and never had a problem.

BTW, A number of dealers will claim that K&N type oiled air filters will ruin the MAF with a deposit of oil. Don't believe it. If that happens you can contact K&N, they are very protective of their products and will fight the dealer/manufacture on your behalf, ever as far as having the failed MAF tested.

Registered Member
    Member No: 40560 dwheeler is an unknown quantity at this point dwheeler's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Aftermarket intake cause mass air flow sensor fail

I've heard of so many CE lights going off and codes being set for MAF related issues, (including on my son's car) after installing an aftermarket air intake system that I have to believe there is a relationship.

Since (blindly) replacing the MAF sensor is so expensive (and time consuming, if you count swapping out intake systems for warranty work), I'd look into different techniques for cleaning the MAF sensor - at least as a first step. There are several solvents (sprays) to clean them, but remember, this is a DELICATE part (i.e., a hair-thin wire), but I wouldn't be afraid to try it. Some methods involve careful spraying, others involve pouring a limited amount of electronic-friendly solvent in a plastic bag and carefully agitating, while both require thorough drying afterwards.

Search the web, g'luck!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information