+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 28092 tinylj525i is an unknown quantity at this point tinylj525i's Avatar

Yes | No

ABS/DSC/Brake problem

Bought 2001 740i Sport in October. When I purchased it the ABS/DSC/BRAKE/MIL were all on. After some research and use of a scan tool, discovered that the ABS module was bad. Had it rebuilt and problem persisted. Replaced right rear ABS/Speed sensor. Problem still persists. Checked sensor harness. Wiring good all the way into trunk. Looking for additional ideas or similar experience.

Thanks is advance,
    Tiny

Registered Member
    Member No: 150895 BigBimmer is an unknown quantity at this point BigBimmer's Avatar

Yes | No

I have a few more questions...

* What scanner did you use to diagnose the problem-- specifically, what error messages or codes did you get?

* Who did the ABS/DSC module rebuild? Did they confirm that it was fully repaired and functional after the rebuild? (Some of the rebuilders are better equipped than others.)

* Did you have the opportunity to read the diagnostics codes after you reinstalled the ABS/DSC module to see if the errors changed?

2000 E38 750iL Highline Edition with 18" Style 118 Wheels and Runflats
    MKIV and 16:9 Navigation, TV, and Backup Camera
    New Gen Radio, Sirius, Aux Input for my iPod, Bluetooth, and E39 M5 Tire Pressure Monitor System

Registered Member
    Member No: 28092 tinylj525i is an unknown quantity at this point tinylj525i's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I have a few more questions...

Big, I used an OTC Genisys Scantool which has the OE BMW diagnostic port connector and is able to read DTC's and ABS codes as well. Sadly I followed most of the leads on the forum and had the ABS module rebuilt before I had access to the scantool. Auto & Truck Electronics in Tennessee rebuilt the module. They sent a printout of the post rebuild diagnostic test. I purchased the rebuild through EBay and they have extremely positive feedback from multiple BMW, Audi, and Volvo owners that have experienced the same problem. After re-installing the module and discovering that the problem still exists, I then had access to the scantool. I apologize for not having the BMW ABS code, but it was showing the passenger rear wheel speed sensor was bad. I replaced this thinking that would fix the problem, but once again, no luck. DTC is showing P0500 code, which is consistent with the ABS code. I'm almost ready to give up and let the local dealer have a crack at it, but I know that's going to hurt the wallet. I'm open to any other suggestions. Thanks for the reply.

Registered Member
    Member No: 119706 Bmw540san is on a distinguished road Bmw540san's Avatar

Yes | No

Bad ignition switch can cause those problems as

well. Have you flashed your brake fluid recently. Old fluid that's absorbed enough moisture can also cause the problem.

1998 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Arctic silver, M sport suspension (euro delivery), prod. date 05/98, non VANOS
    Staggered 18" style 32 OEM wheels
    Remus exhaust
    AFE CAI
    Z3 shifter
    VDO oil pressure and temperature gauges in place of headlight/fog switches
    Powder coated valve covers-satin black
    CDV delete
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module (aftermarket daytime running lights)

1997 BMW 528iA
    Alpine white, premium package, prod. date 04/97, single VANOS
    Staggered 17" style 32 OEM wheels
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module

2000 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, AKA "The Work Horse"

Garage aids:
    Direct Lift Pro Park 8
    Campbell Hausfeld 28 gallon oil lubricated air compressor
    Newair ACP-1400H portable air conditioner and heater
    Auto Enginuity scan tool with BMW enhanced option
    Actron 9135 scan tool-for quick readouts

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Bad ignition switch can cause those problems as

540san you might be on to something. My keyless entry has also ceased to function. I've tried to reinitialize it multiple times, but have been unsuccessful. At first the key was transmitting, now it's not. If there is a problem with the ignition switch, it may not be charging the key as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information