+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 28311 Evil28 is an unknown quantity at this point Evil28's Avatar

Yes | No

2001 325i...

I found at a loacal car lot this car and I am interested in it. It is a 201 325i 5spd, blk on blk with 76,422 miles on it. The asking price is 12,877. Is this a good deal or at least fair? What should I look for with a vehicle at this milage. What are some common issues with this year e46? Thanks for your help.

Here is a link to the car. May have to scroll down to it, third from last car on list.

http://shopautowise.com/Sedans-ATlink.htmlDave(Evil28)

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

What did KBB say about the value when you ran

the particulars thru it for value?
    Well, you did select smartly when you chose a manual because this is one of the potential weak and expensive unknowns when you purchase a used e46 with auto of this vintage.
    Car looks like it has been detailed in and out, but beyond that you should pursue the service records, the dealer list of work, and a mechanic's evaluation.
    Perhaps look to see if car has stock springs and shocks to see if aggressive driving could have been on the mind of the owner. Inspect rear shock towers to be sure. Got a sunroof? Any sign of leaks or rough operation?
    Spend some tiem reading this board back into time to get a feel for this breed, and some of the problem areas. Water pump been replaced yet? Control arm bushings in good shape? You're just getting started!

DeadEd

Yes | No

Re: 2001 325i...

I don't know where you are located, but nearly $13K seems high. (I really don't think my 01 330 with 67K is worth anywhere near that). Take a look through Autotrader.com. If $13K, the car needs to be fully up-to date on maintenance, no issues, have new tires, and be detailed within an inch of its life. It's getting close to needing some significant cooling system preventative maintenance (90K). It should have recent pads, rotors, likely on its second set of control arms/bushings.

c.d.iesel

Yes | No

about the value and what to look for

truer at $9000, and work all the window regulators up/down
    for noises, feel under rugs for water from leaking sunroof,
    oil change intervals are key, crankcase vent valves freeze
    in winter if oil is changed only once per year, road test
    on highway for straight steering and braking without any
    pulling or vibrations. Look really close at door edges,
    hood and trunk edges for body work, non-original painting.
    That can ruin your day after purchase.

ds

Yes | No

Re: 2001 325i...

This would seem to be a much better deal:
    http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=45547&sortby=&dir=
    I don't know anything about that car or the seller, but it caught my eye when listed -- it sounds very good and lower miles for less money. Plus, it was posted here and that should stand for something.... ;-)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information