+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 180540 spridget is an unknown quantity at this point spridget's Avatar

Yes | No

Plastic sill trim removal

Hi
    I would like to remove the plastic sill trim of my X type to see why it doesn't fit flush with the rear wheel arch. I can see the plastic screws on the underside but suspect that there will be something else holding it at the top side. Don't want to start pulling in case I break something.
    Many thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 136953 execk2 is an unknown quantity at this point execk2's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Plastic sill trim removal

The plastic has little tabs that keep the pressure and they come off pretty straight forward. The tabs are part of the plastic arch and sort of fit against each other.

But the plastic becomes fairly brittle and tears easily. I more than likely will not crack, but if you start to see it tearing, you need to be more careful. If it does tear a bit (I tore the front one while going for the washer motor) black plastic epoxy will fix it.Mike

Registered Member
    Member No: 35097 bbojangles is an unknown quantity at this point bbojangles's Avatar

Yes | No

do you mean the side skirt?

there are about 20 clips in total.

ten of them you can see from looking under the car, they are black plastic, with a plastic screw in the middle. The screw has to come out first. (could be a pain, I recommend getting new ones they are cheap)

there are another 10 or so clips that are more up inside the side skirt, and they just snap in a sideways direction. Ideally you need to get under there with a light and fine the right pry tool to get in there and pop them out. If you pull the skirt out, you will most likely break the plastic brackets that are part of the moulded plastic.

THere are early and later type clips, replace as needed. Dealer only sells the newer ones. the old ones are 2 part clips, the newer ones are just one piece.

Registered Member
    Member No: 180540 spridget is an unknown quantity at this point spridget's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: do you mean the side skirt?

Thanks for the info guys. Next fine day I'll gave a go and hope I don't break anything. Who would've thought they'd build Jags with plastic?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information