+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 24829 dietzgw is an unknown quantity at this point dietzgw's Avatar

Yes | No

Brake Squeal

I installed new Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS Street Master pads on my '96 740iL. Used the brake pad lube that came with the Hawks. Had a TERRIBLE squeal at medium brake pedal pressure (stop and go traffic in town). Someone recommended NAPA spray lube, so I pulled and cleaned all pads and pistons and sprayed 3 coats of the lube on the backs of the pads. This got rid of a significant portion of the squeal, but I still have brake squeal under medium pedal pressure in town driving.

This is my first set of Hawk pads and while they stop well, don't fade, and don't have much brake dust, the squeal is driving my wife crazy (and me too). Even though I only have a few thousand miles on the pads, I am considering replacing them with something else. Probably Pagids.

Any comments on getting rid of brake squeal, or other pads to consider would be welcome.

Gary Dietz
    1996 740iL - Aspen Silver

BimaVixen13

Yes | No

Re: Brake Squeal

Did you try to clean the rotors before installing them? The rotors come with some grease like coating on them and if you fail to remove that you will get a lot of noise while applying the brakes. Hope this helps.

Registered Member
    Member No: 24829 dietzgw is an unknown quantity at this point dietzgw's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Brake Squeal

Yes, rotors were clean.
    Gary Dietz
    1996 740iL - Aspen Silver

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information