+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 17007 eastender is an unknown quantity at this point eastender's Avatar

Yes | No

New Z3 Owner. I am excited!

I could not contain my excitement on recently owning a 1998 Z3 2.8. So here I am! :-)

I bought this used with 17k miles on it and I am LOVING the car so far. I love the body styling and love the almost classic lines. I am hoping to get many years of service out of this. My 2000 E46 323Ci is holding up very well so far after 148k miles!

A quick question for the owners here. The previous owner had serviced the car at BMW dealership and they had used petroleum based Oil. What is your take on changing to Synthetic Oil? I use Mobile One in my E46.

I also plan on flushing the coolant at the earliest opportunity. Anything else you might recommend? The car was stored in winters and the hoses and cables look mint to the naked eye. Not sure if that or the belts should be replaced or not?

Thanks in advance.

st-pete-z3

Yes | No

Re: New Z3 Owner. I am excited!

Welcome- You will enjoy it to the fullest.

-Yes- SYN oil is a good choice
    -Change water pump if it is the original - (get a metal one)
    -Add front & butt braces (they change the ride)

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

Welcome to the world of Z ownership...more

Sounds like you got a great deal that will give you years of twists and turns.

If the hoses and belts were changed in the last 4 or 5 years, do not worry about them.
    Otherwise here is what i suggest based on the age of the car:

Change the rubber: hoses, belts and tires. Even though they look good, rubber does not age well so change 'em.

If the following has not been done, do this:

Change the oil, trans filter and fluid, check the diff fluid. I use Mobil 1 Synth in my engine.
    Flush and replace the brake fluid, flush the coolant.

This is a half day, DIY that will help you bond with the car.

Also, check out:

www.zscca.com they are the national Z car club and they have a great event coming up in September.

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

I agree on the water pump. Although not....m

as critical as the rubber and fluids.

Scott

Registered Member
    Member No: 17007 eastender is an unknown quantity at this point eastender's Avatar

Yes | No

Thank you st-pete-z3!

I was not too sure about chaging over to Syn oil after all the years that the engine has been bathed in Petro oil. But I am all for Syn oil.

I did not think about the water pump, so I am definitely glad you raised that. I will add to my notes.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Welcome to the world of Z ownership...more

Thanks Scott. I certainly feel I got a good deal, both from the cars condition and the price. I am very happy.

The hoses and belts were definitely not changed in the last 5 years. So, I will add that to my notes too. It makes sense since the car is 12 years old. The tires were replaced back in 2005 when the car had about 15k miles.

The oil was replaced by BMW at the end of March. Although since I am planning to switch over to Syn oil, I will just go ahead and change the oil again.

I have never done a Brake fluid flush before. But I am assuming it is easy DIY? I have done the coolant on the E46 and was pretty simple.

Thanks for the link to the ZSCCA and your feedback on my questions. I look forward to learning more from the members here!

Registered Member
    Member No: 100814 prdz3 is an unknown quantity at this point prdz3's Avatar

Yes | No

Almost classic lines?

I agree; it's the 1.9 that's got the for-real classic lines!
    Phil '97 1.9 Montreal Blue

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Almost classic lines?

:-) I was searching for the E36 convertible and came across this one and just fell in love. Did not realise how fun the Z3!

Registered Member
    Member No: 100814 prdz3 is an unknown quantity at this point prdz3's Avatar

Yes | No

Don't freak out, but you might want to do all the

Inspection II items (gradually). Good news is that it's a pretty easy car to work on. Here's the complete list:

Inspection II
    The Inspection 2 Service is the larger of the two Inspection Services and basically includes all of the items performed on the Inspection I Service along with some extras like differential oil change; fuel filter and air filter replacements; Replacement of spark plugs. Inspection 2 generally runs around $400+ to $500+. Below are the items that are normally performed.

Undercarriage
    Change engine oil and filter oil while engine is at normal operation temperature.
    Check transmission for leaks.
    Check rear axle for leaks.
    Visually check fuel tank, lines, and connections for leaks.
    Check condition, position, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks.
    Check power steering system for leaks.
    Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads.
    Examine brake disc surfaces.
    Clean brake pad contact points in calipers.
    Grease wheel center hubs.
    Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage, and joint disc.
    Check front control arm bushing for wear.
    Check brake and clutch system connectors and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.
    Check for free movement of the parking brake cables. Adjust parking brake if necessary.
    Check all tire pressures (including spare). Correct if necessary.
    Check condition of tires (outer surfaces (left/right)), tread wear and pattern; In case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if required.
    Check thickness of parking brake linings.
    Half-shafts; check for leaks at flexible boots.
    Inspect entire body according to terms of rust prevention limited warranty.

Engine Compartment
    Read out diagnostic system
    Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks.
    Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
    Check level of brake and clutch fluid in reservoir; add fluid if required.
    Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.
    Check air conditioner for operation.
    Reset Service Indicator.
    Replace spark plugs.
    Replace intake air cleaner element.

Body/Electrical Equipment
    Check battery electrolyte level and add distilled water if required.
    Perform batter load test.
    Check lighting system, i.e. headlights, foglights, parking, backup, license plate, interior (including map reading lights), glove box, flashlight, illuminated makeup mirrors, luggage compartment lights.
    Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.
    Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.
    Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.
    Check wiper and washer system(s); wiper blades, washer jet positions.
    Check condition and function of safety belts.
    Oil hood, trunk/tailgate, and door hinges.
    Grease hood, trunk/tailgate and door latches. Check operation of all latches.
    Check central locking/double lock.
    Replace microfilter.
    Check heater/air conditioner blower, rear window defogger.
    Check rear view mirrors
    Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn cover, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations, or accessories.

Phil '97 1.9 Montreal Blue

Cookie

Yes | No

I've been using Mobil 1 in my M since 2001 with excellent test results.
    If I was changing the fluids I'd also change the water pump since it is weak, although you don't have many miles. It is just easier for me to do everything at once.
    you should have good luck if it has been well cared for, I beefed mine up a bit when I got it and it has required only fluid changes for the past several years.

TexZan (Dover, DE)

Yes | No

if you have a manual tranny...

...you don't want to miss out on the Whalen Shift Machine! The best upgrade you can do, IMO.

Everything else said below is good info. Also, where are you located? We get together for drives all the time and help each other with tools. Some people post their location in their name (not all, though). Just a thought.

WELCOME AND HAVE FUN!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: if you have a manual tranny...

Thanks TexZan. I am in Central NJ. The idea of getting together sounds great. Helping each other sounds good.

And yes it is a manual car. I will look into the Whalen Shift Machine.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Don't freak out, but you might want to do all the

You give me a list this long and ask me not to freak out :-) I truly appreciate the help. I am making note of things here and will certainly check all these out too once I have done the critical elements.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks Cookie. What kind of beefing up did you do? I would have loved the M roadster. But this one with the mileage and condition and price was too good to pass.

It was owned by an older lady and has been cared for by BMW. I got the service history from the dealer.

Registered Member
    Member No: 29003 AR67Duetto is an unknown quantity at this point AR67Duetto's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: searching for the E36 convertible,

:-) I was searching for the E36 convertible and came across this one and just fell in love. Did not realise how fun the Z3!

You got it --> E36/7.

You also got an E36 Cabrio with an E30 rear end...

~bmv

Registered Member
    Member No: 29003 AR67Duetto is an unknown quantity at this point AR67Duetto's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Welcome to the world of Z ownership...more

Thanks for the link to the ZSCCA

Ask him who their President is. And whether or not they conduct themselves in an ethical manner, when promoting their club.
    ~bmv

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 90592
    Inner Circle ©128 since: Nov 14, 2005 JCZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point JCZ3's Avatar

Yes | No

Another very good resource for information....

Check out Esmerelda's Fixit Page at:

http//www.waycoolinc.com/z3/essentials/fixit/index.html

Rachel has done an outstanding job of documenting most if not all of the problems you are likely to come across in a Z3.

My problem is when it's nice enough to work on, I'm driving!
    You'll have a blast, good luck and enjoy!JCZ3
    2004 X3 2.5 Silver Gray
    2004 325xi Titanium Silver
    2000 2.3A Dakar Yellow
    Dinan CAI, exhaust, software, stage 2 suspension and strut brace. LeatherZ Mark1. 3M Roadguard

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Another very good resource for information....

Thanks for replying. The link does not seem to work. Otherwise I am very curious to learn about the issues Rachel has documented.

I have to admit, I love the yellow colour. Mine is white with red interior. I love the car and wish I had got one sooner!

Registered Member
    Member No: 22871 adb2 is an unknown quantity at this point adb2's Avatar

Yes | No

Left out the colon, try this link

Rachel's pages

Welcome to Z3 ownership, I've had mine since new, 10 years + now
    ZZZING '00 2.3 Oxford Green/Beige/Black - Strong Strut Trilogy - Whalen Shift Knob - Leather Z Mark 1 - Gary's Mirror Adaptor - ATE Power Slotted Rotors - Shark Injector - Ground Control Rear Shock Mounts - M front upper shock mounts - Koni Sport shocks - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Ireland Subframe Bushings - SSR Competition Wheels - HIR Headlights

Registered Member

Yes | No

Feel free to call me and discuss your concerns....

Scott Pettit
    209-480-2271

[email protected]

I would be happy to talk with you about your statement "ethical manners".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information