+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 180710 tbhoff is an unknown quantity at this point tbhoff's Avatar

Yes | No

1972 bmw bavaria- new purchase, transmission prob?

I went and looked at a 1972 BMW bavaria for sale today. Seller only wants $1400. Could not find any rust, interior and paint are in great condition. Engine very clean and runs strong. Seems like a real deal.

My concern is, when I test drove it, the transmission was slipping. I am curious how difficult it would be to find parts to fix it/how expensive it would be.

Also, the front bumper is missing.

Advice would be appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Is the Borg Warner auto slipping or the Clutch on

the four speed? The later models, like my 76 had the 3HP22 ZF auto which I think was better than the BW.

Unregistered

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhoff View Post
    I went and looked at a 1972 BMW bavaria for sale today. Seller only wants $1400. Could not find any rust, interior and paint are in great condition. Engine very clean and runs strong. Seems like a real deal.

My concern is, when I test drove it, the transmission was slipping. I am curious how difficult it would be to find parts to fix it/how expensive it would be.

Also, the front bumper is missing.

Advice would be appreciated.

Same issue I had. Everyone in the U.S. says the BW transmissions are horrible while those in Europe (mostly Landrover that used the same transmission) say it is reliable as long as you change the fluid and filter every 30K. These take type F fluid which is not as "slippery" as Dexron. Good chance Dexron is in there. I replaced my fluid with Redline Type F and the problem cleared. Rob
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 134.174.110.6

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information