+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 180873 pscallahan is an unknown quantity at this point pscallahan's Avatar

Yes | No

Microphone plug in an X5 is hard to find

I am adding the hands free MIC to an 06 BMW X5 as part of completing my bluetooth install, but the 3 pin plug inside the overhead console isn't anywhere to be found. I've read on an old post that it was hard to find in an X5. Does anyone know where its tied down at inside the console? I know that my X5 was prewired for phone, but can't seem to find that little booger.

Registered Member
    Member No: 180873 pscallahan is an unknown quantity at this point pscallahan's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Microphone plug in an X5 is hard to find

the mic wire was taped back with black tape to the harness approaching from the left when looking forward.

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Sounds typical

I have not tried that install, but when I added the alarm and central locking to the M Roadster (a dealer option for that year) the harness was well hidden under a wad of black cloth tape.

Ditto for the wiring harness for the CD changer, hidden away, and oddly enough, missing a wire (factory defect, TSB on this). The alarm siren wiring was way under the brake cylinder.

I am not sure I am going to try to upgrade my existing system, which is CD-ROM based. I am leaning toward one of the Pioneer AVIC systems, some of which have CD-ROM drives that will hold all your music (like 60 GB worth), have built-in nav (no discs to add), bluetooth, voice recognition, larger display, etc. etc. etc.

And it would replace the headend, the tuner box, the DVD changer box, the nav CD box and amplifier box. Probably save about 50 pounds in weight alone....

But if IU can find replacement parts cheap on eBay, maybe I'll patch the old system back together.....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information