+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    , ,
    Member No: 181151 davidsevirski is an unknown quantity at this point davidsevirski's Avatar
    Yes | No

535i new cylinder head: replace or sell?

I have a 1991 535i with 160,000 miles. I've had it about 7 years now (bought it at 80,000 miles).
    The water pump failed and it overheated 3 1/2 years ago. 6 months after that, I had to replace the cylinder head gasket. The cylinder head was sent to a machine shop to be checked out, and it checked out fine, no planing or resurfacing was needed.
    Now, 3 years later, I'm all of a sudden losing coolant every 3 weeks and I've got oil in the coolant reservoir. I took it in to the shop, they flushed it, cleaned out the reservoir, and put in some Prestone coolant system sealant in order to avoid a cylinder head repair.
    Well, two days later, the coolant is low again and the reservoir has frothy brown oil in it.
    The shop says it probably needs a new cylinder head, since the gasket should have lasted more than three years (I haven't had any coolant system issues since the gasket was replaced).
    My question: Do I go ahead and replace the cylinder head and expect to get another 100,000 miles out of this 535i, or do I buy another car? Brakes and tires are recent, and I've really been good about maintaining any worn out parts. But I am asking for advice on when I need to "let go."

Registered Member
    Hesperia, CA, United States
    Member No: 147046 dusty21 is an unknown quantity at this point dusty21's Avatar
    Yes | No

Re: 535i new cylinder head: replace or sell?

Probably not a good idea to replace the cylinder head on a
    high milage engine.

I too replaced the head gasket on my '90 535i 3 years ago, the
    car now has 240k mi. If the head goes bad I will buy a
    rebuilt engine from www.bavengine.com as I did for my 633CSi 6
    years ago. My son, who has the car says the engine is still

If you really like the 535i, a new engine at this time would
    be my choice, probable less the $5,000 investment, much
    cheaper than a new car.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information