+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered Member
    Member No: 30954 mattday is an unknown quantity at this point mattday's Avatar

Yes | No

Not worth the time...

To put things in perspective, the most rain Nashville has ever seen in a month is about 15". A couple of weeks ago, we got (depending on area of town) 13"-18" over a period of two days. This wasn't a small flood event by anyone's definition. Latest damage estimates I've seen were just under $2bil.

I don't see the mall paying for this and really don't see convincing a local judge or jury that anyone is to blame for this. 00 2.3

Registered Member
    Member No: 181181 twest2 is an unknown quantity at this point twest2's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: the pessimism is well warranted...

Hey thanks for the feedback and recommends from everybody. I am struggling with that very delimma. I have 3 options. Either part the car out a little at a time on ebay. (Slow process).
    Or, buy a salvage car and replace all of my needed parts (assuming my engine and trans okay). Last, just take my time and repair each part one at a time.

Don't think any chance of getting money from the mall. Would probably cost me 4K for a lawyer to get 5K for the car.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: how to repair a flooded ZZ3

Hey folks, I think maybe the starter or starter relay may have shorted out. Not sure because I haven't traced it with this car. Is there a relay or a breaker for the starter on the z3? I turned over the key but nothing happened. The isntrument cluster is working fine. The radio display came on with the word "code" and some blank spaces in the display. I thought maybe something wrong with the connection to the starter and so should start there. But do I need to do anything with that radio display first?

Got all the water out of the oil pan (about a gallon came out with the oil.) Took out the spark plugs and could see where water has entered by way of intake.

Going to tackle the fuel tank next. Is there a way to shut off supply so I don't pump any water into the engine? Is there a preferred way to empty that tank?
    Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 146192 s-retire is an unknown quantity at this point s-retire's Avatar

Yes | No

you may be right... but worth exploring

Registered Member
    Member No: 146192 s-retire is an unknown quantity at this point s-retire's Avatar

Yes | No

Most likely for me the attempted rebuild...

would never be finished. Do as Mr. Tre suggests, maybe you'll get lucky. If your not that lucky, the least expensive and complicated option is to replace the whole car. The general consensus here is that the car is too severely damaged.

I doubt that this would ever be worthy of paying an attorney, but filing a claim with the mall, would keep your options open and document your loss. At bare minimum there is the tax write-off, maybe recovery funds. At the extreme there would be small claims case that would take a few years. It is possible that the mall's carrier would issue a payoff to put it all to rest.

Shoot there is always Judge Judy. Given the magnitude of the event...

Registered Member

Yes | No

The radio code is no big deal yet

Just a security code that you need to enter. If you don't have it, you should be able to get that from the dealer.

Keep us updated on your progress. Maybe we'll all learn a lot.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Since you asked about WHAT to do...

Thanks man. So far I followed steps 1 and 2. Water went thru intake for sure. Have to replace all filters, etc. Pulled plugs, but haven't been able to get the car to turn over, so I thought maybe there was a relay to the starter that may have blown. DOn't know where that is on this car, if it even has such. SO I will keep checking. Interior is ugly. But replacing seat foam and carpet seems like the easiest and cheapest potential problem. We will see.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Actually, he asked both questions...

Thanks for the tips. Is there a starter relay that may have shorted to keep the car from starting? When I tried to turn the key nothing happens so I wondered about that first since lights work.

Registered Member
    Member No: 169665 mechanicsc is an unknown quantity at this point mechanicsc's Avatar

Yes | No

I shudder more and more as I hear your reports, but since you're going forward with it, I'll help out the best I can...

Radio: Don't worry about that just yet. Just means it lost power and you need to re-enter the security code. Has no bearing on the car not starting.

Starter: Possible blown fuse or bad relay, but I'm betting that the car's computer is shot (might still have water in it? did you remove it and dry it out first?). That would prevent starting (Z3 keys have a transponder that sends a signal to the car's computer as an anti-theft device).

Fuel: Shut off the supply to the engine by pulling the fuel pump fuse (F18). You would need to drop the tank to get everything cleaned out proper, but the TIS indicates that is a PITA on the Z3 (requires dropping the rear axle), so you might just want to clean it out in-place.

However, since you have the interior out you should be able to get to the fuel gauge sender unit easy (its behind a removable oval panel behind passenger seat back) and siphon/pump out tank from there. You should also be able to siphon it out through the filler neck, but you have to be careful because there's a baffle in the filler neck that a hose can "catch" on when you try to remove it. Given what you have done so far, I would go for the fuel sender plate to get the gas out.

Good luck.
    mechanicsc
    2002 Z3 3.0i

Registered Member

Yes | No

THanks for that mechanicsc. I hope you are not right, I will let you know about the computer. Had not made it that far yet. Don't even know where the computer board is. IF it is bad though, it will probably be too expensive to repair. I will only attempt to rescue this car if I can do it with minimum expense. If too expensive, then I will take the advice to just sell the car in parts on ebay. Figure I can recover at least a thousand.

Registered Member
    Member No: 90659 Ja_spurling is an unknown quantity at this point Ja_spurling's Avatar

Yes | No

I suspect....

A wet imobilizer relay, or maybe you've got the dealer installed alarm module. Does your key have an alarm fob? As for the computer, they're pretty well sealed up. I've got a '97 with the battery in the trunk, the computer is in the compartment by the motor on the passenger side. Early '96 cars had the battery there.
    Good Luck!

Ja_
    Z3_GoCar Racing
    My Auto Page

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: I suspect....

Thanks Ja, I will check. My key has a button in the middle that has to be puched down to turn the key all the way to start position in the ignition, but I don't have an extra fob for an alarm. The first thing to come back on when I turned the key was the alarm though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information