+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 20067 ericole is an unknown quantity at this point ericole's Avatar

Yes | No

Ceiling/sunroof rattle - how to fix??

I've done a LOT of checking on the forums. Seems this has been asked a lot in the distant past, but I could find no real answers. Maybe others, now that their cars are older, have solutions??

I checked the archives. I did not find any real help.

When I go over a bump or close a door hard, I hear a rattle in my sunroof (sedan). I can tap on the headliner and get a rattle.

Not sure where or how to solve this problem. Could this be some sort of adjustment or a worn component such as a guide or even the seal? I even thought it was a loose door panel. This does not seem to be the case.

This type of rattle really bothers me. A BMW should not rattle. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

ONLY looking for answers - thanks!Eric
    1995 525i

Bonzo

Yes | No

Re: Ceiling/sunroof rattle - how to fix??

Open the suroof all the way. You will see 4 adjusting points, two on each side. There is a track in which the panel travels. In this track there are or whould be nylon bushings behind each adjusting bolt. These bushings can wear out or just break which will make the panel rattle. Does your sunroof panel sit perfectly flush with the roof in the molding or is there a gap? Take a straight edge and check for flush. The panel can be adjusted verticaly until flush. Then check the "track mounting bolts are tight. good luck

Registered Member
    Member No: 20067 ericole is an unknown quantity at this point ericole's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Ceiling/sunroof rattle - how to fix??

Awesome response, thanks

I can tell you now that it doesn't sit flush. I'll check this out tomorrow!
    thanksEric
    1995 525i

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information