+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 14586 tparker is an unknown quantity at this point tparker's Avatar

Yes | No

Power top woes

I have a 2000 M Roadster. My power top was intermittently stalling when I raised and lowered it. I figured it was a bad micro-switch, so I snipped off the micro-switch and connected the two wire ends together.

Now my power top goes down no problem, but when it's down, it does not go up.

Any idea what the problem is?

Registered Member
    Member No: 56153 vcosta is an unknown quantity at this point vcosta's Avatar

Yes | No

One question...

Will it go back up if you stop lowering it about half way down, then try to raise it?

vc

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

The micro switch that you bypassed...

detects the position of the top. Did you disconnect the 2 wires and try raising it?

Scott Pettit

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: The micro switch that you bypassed...

Yes, I tried that and the top still doesn't go up.

Several times, to get the top up, I've gotten behind the car and brute-forced it to the closed position. I wonder if that did some damage to the power mechanism...

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: One question...

Yes, I think it does, but I'm not certain. It's raining today and I can't double-check it.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 60022 KURTZZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point KURTZZ3's Avatar

Yes | No

Something commonly ignored

There is a switch that is attached to the brake pedal. Should this switch malfunction, your hood will not go down and your cruise control will not turn on. It doesn't have to fail completely, but even intermittent failure will cause this.

See link.

2002 Z3 3.0i;black/black;sports package;BMW windbreaker;spoiler guard;LeatherZ armrest;Pinnacle Souveran wax;Whalen Shift Machine;Strongstrut tower brace;Alpine CDA-9847 CD;Alpine KCA-420i iPod converter;Silverstar 9006 bulb;Axxis brake pads;Stewart water pump;Zionville autosport radiator

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information