+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 148452 jevil is an unknown quantity at this point jevil's Avatar

Yes | No

1988 535is Speedometer question

Here is the deal. I have an '88 535is with just over 100k on it. Very nice car.

The speedometer, odometer, and speed on the OBC are all inop. I am an ASE certified automobile technician so I know my way around cars. I first confirmed that the differential sensor is working properly. I removed the IP cluster and confirmed that the signal from the diff is getting to the IPC at the white connector. So the sensor and wiring to the cluster are just fine.

Now here is my problem. I removed the speedometer out of the cluster assembly and found a burnt spot in the bottom of the circuit board. With a magnifying glass and a bright light I found that a resistor has fried. I am pretty sure that this is my problem due to how obvious it is. My question is how will I know what resistance of a resistor to get to solder back into the board. I can't read the colored lines on the resistor because the outside of it is pretty much fried and flaking off like ashes.

Now there is a stamp on the board labeling the resistor as "R16". I have no idea where to look that up to see what resistance it is. If anyone out there can help me, I would be so thankful.

Another thing I would like to know is, in order to get access to solder the resistor I need to dismantle the speedo assembly. Does anyone here have any links to a site that can show me how to without damaging it. It looks very delicate and I don't want to harm it any more than it already is. Pics of dismantling it would be helpful.

Thanks for your time and let me know if anyone here can help.

Registered Member
    Member No: 148452 jevil is an unknown quantity at this point jevil's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 1988 535is Speedometer question

UPDATE****

Someone contacted me who had the same problem. Even sent me a pic of their burnt resistor. It was a 33 ohm .5 watt 2% resistor. I replaced it. Installed it, turned the key on and smoke from my cluster. Removed it again and found the exact same resistor burnt.

So basically my new question is, where can I buy a new one?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information