+ Reply to Thread
    Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 61816
    Inner Circle ©51 since: Apr 08, 2012 drwerner is an unknown quantity at this point drwerner's Avatar

Yes | No

Searched Archives, Still Have Magnaflow Question

Hi all, I have always been interested in getting a little more sound from the CSi - my brother just installed a Remus system on his Range Rover and it sounds great - and it got me thinking again.

I have seen people use (2) types of Magnaflows - 14x5x8 2.25/3.5 D-DW-R-S-S Stainless Muffler Magnaflow14805 and 14x5X8 2.25/3 D-SWR-O-A-L Magnaflow Stainless Muffler 14830. What I can't find is whether these are a direct bolt on replacement and if this is the right size for my car (I seem to recall the CSi has larger tubes?).

Whenever I do a mod, I want to make sure I can go back to stock - so I am not interested in any custom fabrification that would prevent me from doing that. If anyone can shed any light and their expierence I would so appreciate it! Thanks all, David

Registered Member
    Member No: 167182 TxGR8White is an unknown quantity at this point TxGR8White's Avatar

Yes | No

If you don't want custom, stay away from MAGNAFLOW

The pipes need to be done new, since the MAGNAFLOW is a "straight" inlet, where the BMW cans are at an angle.

Registered Member
    Member No: 40221 Lon is an unknown quantity at this point Lon's Avatar

Yes | No

Magnaflow Exhaust Alternative

Here is my experience:

1. My CSi came with the REMUS exhaust cans (with tips) installed by the PO. REMUS was by far the best sounding cans. Low burble and unobtrusive at speed. However, the exhaust tips were completely pimp, the inlets were 2 1/4"(suitable for the regular i and Ci: CSi is appx 2 1/2" inlet)) and the cans weighed about what the stock units weigh(heavy)

2. Here is the solution: I used 2 Magnaflow cans #14218 5x8x14 body 2.5" single inlet 2.5" dual outlet (This saved almost 20 pounds each over the stock or REMUS cans) I then installed 4 Magnaflow tips #35122 3" diameter outlet and staggered them just like the CSi stock arrangement

Installed by a pro muffler shop.
    Sound result: Very nice rumble,a bit more sound than the REMUS, but not too intrusive. If they're a bit too much you could always install some short resonators ahead of the cans. I did not install any resonators.

Best of both worlds results. All stainless. Saved close to 40 pounds, Looks like stock and with a bit of rumble. The rumble is noticeable more around 1000 rpm and a bit quieter both above and below.

Registered Member
    Member No: 71085 jef is a splendid one to behold jef is a splendid one to behold jef is a splendid one to behold jef is a splendid one to behold jef is a splendid one to behold jef is a splendid one to behold jef is a splendid one to behold jef is a splendid one to behold jef's Avatar

Yes | No

He can go from center res back like I did.

That would make it reversible.

Registered Member
    Member No: 111416 Walte is an unknown quantity at this point Walte's Avatar

Yes | No

it really comes down to,...

the -over the 1800.00 direct fit- remus, eisenmann , oem etc ,you can do in your driveway or the under 1000.00 cats or resonator back, magnaflow , flowmaster etc that your local muff shop will install. since its just tube, you can stipulate your concern about switching back to stock if you care too. and you can have the shop tack on any tips you like, for show. or the cheapest way to go - is cut open your oem cans and gut the insides, like dinan does (pics are in the archives) and weld them back up 8^). if you don't like the sound of them, go and purchase new cans. (its the frugal scottish in me 8^)
    Walt
    eisenmann direct fit

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information