+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ziminskas

Yes | No

Re: ahh... the rare swaybars...

Well, my 850 6 speed does not have the edc on it and thats the one I'm doing the suspension on, so I guess....no, no edc. What are struts?

The reason that I'm looking to re-do my suspension is for the obvious reason that it's old and probably worn out, and the other night, I was driving and I was about to go around a turn (keep in mind, before the 850, I was driving around a 335i that handles very well) I was in 6th gear and dropped it into 3rd to take the turn in a nice sporty fashion....the tail of the car flew out from under me and scared the crap out of me. At that point, I decided it was time to re-do the suspension.

So basically for me, I think the things that I need to look into doing are the
    Springs, Shocks, Upper Control Arms, and Sway Bars (maybe struts? I dont yet know what those are or what they do)
    Does that sound about right for a beginners suspension mod?

Ziminskas

Yes | No

oh....and camber plates

rcrad6653

Yes | No

Zeke speaks the truth about the E32 Sport bar.....

.... from Dinan. It beats the CSI because it's adjustable and cheaper ($175). Your only rear option new is Kamac, and that will run you $465. I agree with what's been said about the dramatic handling improvement with sways, however your spring options are a bit more costly than stated. You can't buy a set of Eibachs and CSI rear springs for $320. H&R and Eibach is only sold in 4 corner sets...(about $275), a pair of CSI rears is more than that. H&R you use the rears for beer holders and with Eibach you'll have a perfectly good rear set sitting if you want to go with CSI rears. If you want to go a step further, I can help you with a complete coilover front strut utilizing Koni adjustable shocks, adjustable camber plates, and adjustable ride height utilizing Eibach springs. My particular setup is matched to rear Mtechnic Sport springs and shocks. Since you think you need 18" wheels and tires to look right with the car I say BS. 17's give a better ride and are cheaper with just as many spec options.

rcrad6653

Yes | No

Pics fix

Ziminskas

Yes | No

Re: Zeke speaks the truth about the E32 Sport bar.....

Nah, I dont think I NEED 18's for it to look right, I just like the look of them.

Ziminskas

Yes | No

Hey Walt, I found the "eibach pro-kit lowering springs" on jegs. Is that what I'm looking for as far as springs go?

rcrad6653

Yes | No

Only stating preference Zim, and the merits of...

.... alternatives. Wheels and tires for our cars are very subjective, leave it at that. In this thread alone you have been given nearly every available alternative to what's currently available for the E31. It sounds like you just want to lower the car, get a good look, and 'a sportier ride'. You're asking into a group of owners that will (by and large) give you much more comprehensive answers than a simple 'buy this', and you know why? .. because it's just not that simple. There are many owners here with as many different suspensions that they're quite happy with and have been for years. Those suspensions are right for the car. You dismiss sways because it doesn't interest you, yet they're an integral part of your desired 'sportier ride'. I presented an option that's unlike anything else anywhere but it's nothing earth shattering, just different. It too is right for the car and I would stack it up to anything that any E31 owner here has. The point is that even with a test drive the reaction would range from: wow! to 'yawn', to "I like mine better"... and the REAL point is that suspension and ride is subjective just like wheels and tires, man. One size doesn't fit all. Read and read and read some more, pick one setup and go with it, and drive the car.

Registered Member
    Member No: 111416 Walte is an unknown quantity at this point Walte's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Zeke speaks the truth about the E32 Sport bar.....

quote:You can't buy a set of Eibachs and CSI rear springs for $320

eibach 325.00
    interesting , i paid gault 330.00 for 4 csi springs and had mwrench install them a few years back.i am sure they cost abit more now , but it shouldn't be a deal breaker or are you talking about mix and match eibach and csi springs ??

as for your koni setup...Q) are you affiliated in anyway with "rocket science"?
    Walt

Registered Member
    Member No: 167182 TxGR8White is an unknown quantity at this point TxGR8White's Avatar

Yes | No

those are the ones - If I remember correctly, I

went over ALL of these things with you when you came by the first time and drove my car.

Registered Member

Yes | No

check on availabilty if / before you order....

or you might get stuck with a wait, while on back order.

Walt

rcrad6653

Yes | No

The way I read it he was wanting to do a mix.....

.... Walt, hence my statement. As to any affiliation with RS whatsoever that's a flat no, absolutely not. AFAIK my struts didn't get built anything like either his or Bryson's.

Registered Member

Yes | No

the reason i asked was..

i was searching/surfing to make sure that the info i was going to post was somewhat accurate on the struts. and I came across R.S.'s site that listed the coil over setup.(atleast it was pictured) sorry to [Oops!]/u/me and associate your setup. 8^)
    My Regards , Walt

rcrad6653

Yes | No

Similarities to anything done by RS are ....

... coincidental. The fabrication of mine was done independently of anyone else, I worked directly, and I do know that mine are quite different from Bryson's personal original setup both in specs and construction. The next pair of these will use EDC strut tubes, notable only because it makes no difference what OEM struts are used as the basis for modification. What is notable though is that this setup offers a range of options and adjustments not possible with conventional strut mods. IMO 'better' only comes into play because of this.

rcrad6653

Yes | No

With your proposed changes you will also.....

.... need to factor in a good Roadforce tire balance and first class alignment to the overall cost. New springs with more squat don't mean squat if you don't get'er realigned right after all the components are in, and those could easily top $200. When you get to that point I can give you some alignment specs that have worked well for me to help you along.

Gerry, UKCSi

Yes | No

Camberplates and bump steer spacers.

You will greatly improve steering feel and reduce understeer significantly with camber plates, and bump steer plates will return your steering geometry back close to stock if you lower the car. You will also need rear strut reinforcing plates if you fit Bilsteins on the back.

Gerry.

rcrad6653

Yes | No

Re: Camberplates and bump steer spacers.

The spacers are nice, and they do as advertised. I put them in a week ago prior to the last alignment. A small aside to your DIY of those Gerry, put a mention of disconnecting the swaybar link. Any competent wrencher would know this, but for the uninitiated it's essential so that the lower portion falls away properly for the install.

Registered Member
    Member No: 180489 Ziminskas is an unknown quantity at this point Ziminskas's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: those are the ones - If I remember correctly,

Steffen, you are a wealth of knowledge and I'm pretty sure that I'll be bringing over a pencil and paper the next time I make it up there because sometimes, I just cant keep up and forget some of the things you tell me.

Registered Member
    Member No: 167182 TxGR8White is an unknown quantity at this point TxGR8White's Avatar

Yes | No

I know - it's overwhelming sometimes... :)

rcrad6653

Yes | No

Make sure you wear the really tall boots Zim...8^)

Registered Member
    Member No: 117915 Merlin4SC is an unknown quantity at this point Merlin4SC's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Suspension replacement questions?

Not sure why you would not care about sway bars, other than the fact that there aren't many options available.

But the E31 can be made into a wonderfully capable car for most any road condition. But it can be horribly expensive to experiment on your own. But then handling qualities can be quite subjective too.

Not sure of the vntage of your E31, but I would say you probably want to start by replacing all of your suspension bushings and then try and mix in some US spec CSi springs and Bilsteins, you will not like the Boge shocks with the CSi springs, they are a miss-match for rebound control. For a more docile ride, some prefer weaker springs and stiffer shocks - this works if they are valved right. It takes careful dampening to keep 4,400 lbs close to the road.

I ended up with CSi Springs and custom valved Bilstein Sports for my taste. And I am quite happy with the control and it almost makes the car "tossable" with new bushings that is.

But, this assumes that you have about $10K to play with...

Best of luck

RM

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information