+ Reply to Thread
    JK

Yes | No

Remote lock squeal when lock by remote..

no problem unlocking. Weird thing is when I use the central lock button inside the car, no noise. Squealing noise occurs when locking with remote key.

I have 05 M3 cabrio 6spd

Registered Member
    Member No: 24397 Dyavalon is on a distinguished road Dyavalon's Avatar

Yes | No

Clarification questions.

If you are sitting inside the car, and you hit the door lock button on the keyfob, can you hear the noise?

Since there should be no difference dependent on whether or not you use the keyfob or button inside of the car, I assume that it is making the noise, but you just can't hear it when inside the car. Maybe put the top down and sit in the car and use the button in the center council, does it make the noise?

I am thinking that it would be either the fuel door lock or the trunk lock making the sound. It sounds to me like the locking mechanism is not lining up correctly on either of those, and that a damaged actuator is making the noise. Maybe walk around the car hitting the lock and unlock buttons on the keyfob, try to locate the source of the sound.

Registered Member
    Member No: 163555 330ic2006 is an unknown quantity at this point 330ic2006's Avatar

Yes | No

Will try & report back tomorrow. Thanx

jk

Yes | No

Re: Clarification questions.

...could it be the glove box locking mechanism? Again, the noise occurs only when I use the key fob to lock the car...no noise to unlock. If it's the glove box lock mechnism, is there a way to repair or perhaps disable it so I don't have to hear the "screeching" noise.

jk

Yes | No

Checked as Grimlock suggested...

confirmed that the noise comes from the right dash board. I think its the glove box locking mechanism. Againg noise only when locking w/ keyfob...no noise when unlock. Is there a way to repair or disable it so I dont have to hear the "screeching" noise.

Thanx

Registered Member
    Member No: 38874 M3RX is an unknown quantity at this point M3RX's Avatar

Yes | No

glove box only locks with the key

Registered Member
    Member No: 163555 330ic2006 is an unknown quantity at this point 330ic2006's Avatar

Yes | No

Any idea on the source of the "screeching" noise..

..when I use the key fob to lock. It sounds like it's comiong from the right dash. Is that where the gas cap lock mechanism is?

Registered Member
    Member No: 24397 Dyavalon is on a distinguished road Dyavalon's Avatar

Yes | No

Could it just be the beep?

I have had my car (a coupe) for nearly 9 years. Just this past year, I had a moment when the windows were down and I locked the car with the keyfob. Locked the car out of habit, was coming right back out of the house in a moment, so I wasn't worried about it being secured. The car beeps when I lock it from the fob. I never heard it before, because the windows are always closed. Or, maybe it never beeped before, because not too long before this beep revelation I had the emissions computer recall done. The dealer might have reset some setting when they were doing their work. Could it just be the beep you are hearing?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Definitly not a beep..

It's a screeching sound. It just started recently. I can hear inside and 10 feet away from the car. Again, I hear only when I use the keyfob to lock. When I'm inside the car, the sounds is louder; it sounds like it come from the glove box area.

User Level 1
    Member No: 186350 BBrucker is an unknown quantity at this point BBrucker's Avatar

Yes | No
    A screeching noise occurs when using the key fob to lock my 2003 BMW CI convertible. All other functions of the key fob are working correctly. Do you are answer for eliminating this annoying noise?
    BBrucker
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 76.99.140.71

Registered Member
    Member No: 105607 Eric97-Z3 is an unknown quantity at this point Eric97-Z3's Avatar

Yes | No

Remote Receiver?

I think that it may be the remote receiver located behind the glove box. I had a 97 Z3 and installed a keyless entry system (factory BMW) and the socket to plug in the receiver was right behind the glove box. I can't find a diagram but suspect that this is where it's located on the e46 and may be the source of the noise. That may be why you don't hear it when using the central locking button on the console but you do hear it when using the remote (key).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 67.5.129.175

Unregistered

Yes | No

e46 Glove Box unlock

I just had this issue with my 2005 330CI. Part of the glove box locking mechanism is a small motor which turns a plastic gear that moves a plastic slide back and forth. On my car, when the glove box keylock is in the vertical position, this system locks the glove box when the top is down. Well, next thing I know, can't open the glove box. After removing the plastic hinge covers, I was able to create enough "slop" to force the glove box open. Yea, I almost @!#$ my pants forcing it open. What I found was very interesting. I've posted pictures with a description here http://www.gobendel.com/Bendel/BMW_Glove_Box_Lock.html
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.209.106.212

User Level 1
    Member No: 186965 CinRedMan is an unknown quantity at this point CinRedMan's Avatar

Yes | No
    Guess I should have joined prior to making my first post. I just purchased a 2005 330CI color:Sonora Metallic. And, yes, this color is a head turner. Everyone who views the car for the first time immediately complements the color.

Anyway, I'm new to owning a BMW and new there too. I'll try my best to be helpful to others and you will find that I typically include pictures when posting solutions.
    Last edited by CinRedMan; 07-03-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.209.106.212

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information