+ Reply to Thread
    Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Lake to Lake ralley?

Anyone going to the Lake to Lake Rally at Watkins Glen in June?

Haven't been in a couple of year, but am getting excited. Put new tires and battery in the roadster, and recharged the A/C.

Taking a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer. Hope to have the CD Changer removed and an iPod interface installed by then....

Registered Member
    Member No: 78605 nealmann is an unknown quantity at this point nealmann's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Lake to Lake ralley?

What are the dates and how long is the trip? May possibly be interested. Thanks for the info.98 Z3 1.9 ; HMS strut tower brace, antisway bars, and roll bar; Supersprint cat back exhaust; Dinan chip; Whalen Shift Machine; Strong-Strut Butt strut; FOGGED air box, Downing Atlanta Supercharger.

Registered Member
    Member No: 129783 kostverloren is an unknown quantity at this point kostverloren's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Lake to Lake ralley?

Went last year, they do a good job and if this is your first time it's worth the trip. Not too many Z3's though. Kostverloren

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Might be sold out this year..

Check out the Stone Bridge Driver's Group and also Watkins Glen Promotions.

I am not a "regular", so they can tell you more. Here's what I remember, although my memory fails me sometimes:

The Lake-to-Lake rally is usually held in June and start at a winery and usually ends at the track. You get to do some "victory laps" on the track, at low speeds - usually.

The year we were there with the BMW group, things got kind of crazy. Some of the '02 guys would slow down to near zero and then race up to 90 mph, which you are not supposed to do, of course.

They also have events in the Fall, coinciding with the historic races. Usually one marque is chosen to be honored. They have different tours, some for older cars, others for more modern "roadsters". They tend to be generous in the definition of the latter. A Corvette with T-tops was entered one year, as was a nicely restored '68 Camaro RS Convertible.

The rally takes you to a winery for lunch, as I recall, and then back to Watkins glen for some hot laps around the "old course". This originally was kind of scary, almost, as we were doing 60-80 mph through downtown Watkins Glen (with Police waving you on). But with people lining the sidewalk, it could have turned tragic. Someone did fall out of an Allard (no passenger seat, they were crouched in the footwell taking video, apparently) at the hairpin right out of town.

So the next year, they decided to make everyone stop in town, and then stage the next lap around the old course. Probably safer for everyone involved, as these are run on public roads.

At the end of the event, you can park downtown and check out the Grand Prix festival events. It is a lot of fun if you like old race cars, etc.

Porsche was featured marque one year. BMW was featured another. I regret to report that BMW did not have any official representation at the latter event. Sort of like not showing up at your own birthday party.

Here is a picture taken when BMW was the featured marque. If you look closely in the reflection, you'll see my brother-in-law in the M Roadster.

It was a lot of fun, and they do a nice job of picking routes through some attractive countryside.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information