+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 27308 chamaur is an unknown quantity at this point chamaur's Avatar

Yes | No

Wierd Stomp Test Code

Guys, I have a BMW 530i and the engine would crank over, but it wouldn't start. The main relay is clicking fine, the main positive terminal in the ebox has 12v. The main fuseable link is fine, but the car won't start. I did a stomp test and all I got was the BMW code "1". That's it. Does anyone one knows what this mean? Do you guys think my ECU is bad?

Bonzo

Yes | No

Re: Wierd Stomp Test Code

I don't want to say you may not be doing the test correctly but the codes are always 4 digits long and most codes will start with 12XX, with the exception of the "End of Codes" (1000)- and 14XX which means no fault codes stored. If your E34 is a European model, you may not be able to use the "Stomp Test" for codes. Have you checked your fuel pump? Try tapping on the bottom of your gas tank LIGHTLY with a rubber mallot.

chamaur

Yes | No

GT1 Test Results

Ok, I was able to hook up the GT1 to the car and it came back with the error message "The specified ECU is not installed". I'm thinking my ECU might be bad. I will run the test again and report back with the results.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Realignment Needed?

Guys, I've worked on an E38 (740i) and when the ECU went bad, I got from a donor car, another ECU (DME) with the matching key, and immobilizer unit. Once installed, I was able to use the GT1 and re-align the DME with the Immobilizer unit. Because the key with the chip inside must communicate with the DME then to the Immobilizer unit, and once everything is in sync, then it allows the car to start.

Ok, my question is do I do the same for the E34 (530i)? The keys for the E34's don't have any chip in them, so would I need to also get a DME with matching immobilizer unit from the donor car and then re-align them?

Thanks in advance.

Bonzo

Yes | No

Re: Realignment Needed?

you should make sure the DME software versions are the same, if not you may have problems with the instrument panel software, versions change from one year to the next- starting at 1.1 thru 3.4 along with trans program. Just have to make sure they are compatable. To be on the safe side I would replace with the same info and IMB permaiters.

Registered Member

Yes | No

What I'm Doing

Thanks for the reply Bonzo. I spoke to a couple of guys online. Their reply was, as long as the key doesn't have a chip insided of it then I wouldn't need to re-align the DME to the EWS. My key only has a light, which still works, so no chip in my key! One guy did inform me that the BMW# and the BOSCH# for the DME must match what I have in order for it to be plug and play. I will reply back here to give my results.

k535i

Yes | No

crank position senseor

have you read the resistance of this sensor. I had similar problem and the sensor was bad. after replacing the sensor it is working.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Reading

Thanks for the reply. Do you know the correct resistance reading for the crank position sensor. That would really help alot. Thanks.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Another ECU

Ok, guys, I ordered an ECU from a donor's car with the same matching numbers. I plugged it in and the car still will not start.

k535i

Yes | No

Re: Reading

bentley says 540 +/-10% ohms for m20/m30.
    for m50/60 is 1280 +/- 10% ohms. please make sure to measure it using
    a good multimeter (at least 10,000 ohms input impedance).

the cost of parts is around $120.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks

Thanks man, I will test and post back my results.

Bonzo

Yes | No

Re: Another ECU

It sounds as if its time to get serious and start from scratch. It could be one of a couple dozen problems. The two main factors are FUEL and SPARK. Check each one. Which ever is missing, this is where you start the process. Crank the enginge and quickly remove one spark plug, if its wet your problem is spark/ignition. If its dry its fuel and go from there. It could be your ECM but it may not be.

chamaur

Yes | No

Need Verification on CPS Reading

The Bently manual states on the M50/M60 engines it should be around 1280 ohms. My old sensor was reading 540 ohms. So I ordered a new one. I got an OEM crank sensor and it's reading the same 540 ohms like the old one. I called the BMW shop and they told me it "might" be correct. Can anyone tell me on their 530i V8 M60 engine what their CPS is reading? I'm wondering if the Bentley manual is wrong.

Registered Member

Yes | No

BENTLEY MANUAL IS WRONG!

So, I read on some other bimmer boards and other techies were able to verify that the Crank Position Sensor should read about 540 ohms. The Bentley manual states 1260 ohms for the M50/M60 engines. I guess I just wasted $102 for a new CPS due to Bentley's misprint.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information