+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    , ,
    Member No: 32744 gregcomn is an unknown quantity at this point gregcomn's Avatar
    Yes | No

fuel filter--time or mileage?

Had my 2000 m roadster w/35k in for an oil service and the mechanic said it was 'time' to change the fuel filter.

My question is, do fuel filters/plugs/transmission& diff fluids have a shelf life, or is mileage the sole determinant for replacement?

User Level 8
    Colmesneil, TX, United States
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar
    Yes | No

Some of both, and......

Fluids need to be changed. I wish cars had hour meters rather than odometers. A car sitting in traffic isn't getting any miles but all it functioning parts are getting used. Also if you live in a humid area moisture is created with the heating of fluids and the humid air in the tranny and diff. Plus Brake fluid absorbs moisture just sitting there. I do a 2 year fluid change cycle on the diff, gearbox, coolant, and brake fluid regardless of the miles driven, and any filters that haven't been changed.

Spark plugs are a bit different. Again hours are more representative than miles. I would remove the plugs and visually inspect them. If gap is correct and there are no deposites then they can be reused.

Oh and one more thing...Get out and drive your car!
    96 1.9 Z3 black/tan/black
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray
    08 Kubota 3400 HST orange/charcoal
    08 GMC Sierra stealth gray/gray

, ,

Yes | No

Re: Some of both, and......

I had mine changed just for the age factor. I would think that the elements inside would have to lose effectiveness. No need to have debris or deposits of some type get into the system.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information