+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 58485 Rodger533i is an unknown quantity at this point Rodger533i's Avatar

Yes | No

High Octane Fuel Question

I'm running at the track this weekend, they have 100, 110, and 112 octane fuel there. It got me wondering if the Z3 can take advantage of the extra octane. I don't know much about this part of the car, was wondering if the computer will advance the timing enough to matter based on these higher octane amounts. I always run 93, but just wondered if the track fuels would give it any more power. Not sure I would want to shell out the $9 per gallon anyway, so it's more of a question on how the car works.

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

Directionally, no... But...

...if the engine gets hot enough because of the heavy load it could happen that the street gas might cause the ECU to pull timing. The race fuel would resist detonation further.

At the same time, race fuels also have a different energy content than street gas, so you could see some benefits, not because of different timing, but because of a more powerful combustion...
    ---------------------------------

1998 Z3 1.9 - few modifications here and there
    1999 Z3 2.8 - individual edition (British Traditional)
    2003 Z4 2.5i

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information