+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Big Dog

Yes | No

Okay folks, top this one.......

Well it finally happened, time for a new clutch in the '91 535i and we decided to do the upgrade to a lightened e28 flywheel along with an e28 m5 clutch and pressure plate. Actually the only reason to change was the release bearing that had started making noise, so we got all the parts (new guibo, center support bearing, bolts, etc.) and pulled the sucker apart. The clutch disc still had a good bit of material(!) but the pressure plate fingers were all tired and the release bearing was shot. There were a few minor problems, such as a rounded head on a bell housing bolt, frozen pressure plate bolts and the exhaust being a bear to get back on, but we prevailed. Once things were back in place my son asked "when was the last time we changed this thing?" I pulled the service records and after some quick subtraction, the answer: 290,417. Car now has 385k on the clock (first clutch was done by the dealer for the first owner).

Dog

Registered Member
    Member No: 147046 dusty21 is an unknown quantity at this point dusty21's Avatar

Yes | No

No Way - But thanks for the info

Replaced the clutch, throwout bearing and hydraulic
    actuator on my '90 535i 5sp at 98K miles, it is
    still working at 240k miles...

May have to crawl under it soon and remove the exhaust,
    driveshaft, and torx screws on the tranny to replace it
    all over again..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information