+ Reply to Thread
    Kenneth 1948

Yes | No

1989 XJ6 How do you Remove Fuel Tank

Does anyone have step by step instructions how to remove the fuel tank on a 1989 XJ6?

Thanks, John aka Kenneth

Zurdo

Yes | No

Re: 1989 XJ6 How do you Remove Fuel Tank

hi,

those instructions are included in the Jaguar Service & Parts Manual CD available for your year/model for less than a tank of gas (no pun intended);

you also need to follow the Service Manual instructions for de-pressurizing the fuel system in advance of any fuel system component removal/servicing.

most Jaguar dealers have the CDs, or you can order them online at
    Little British Car Co. (lbcarco.com), eBay, etc.

I'm not familiar with the tank removal in the 1989, but I have heard it is not easy due to some rivetted hose clips, and you're also dealing with liquid fuel and fuel vapors, so a lot of care must be taken to not create sparks with the tools.

Get the Factory Manual.

Kenneth 1048

Yes | No

Re: 1989 XJ6 How do you Remove Fuel Tank

Thanks Zurdo: Good advice. It's my son's car and with this economy we're trying to save a buck. For what it's worth I have done extensive tank work on other cars and I appreciate your comments about gasoline fumes. Somehow this tank got punctured by the shock absorber and it is very fortunate the whole thing didn't explode!
    A couple of times I have "vented" an empty tank while I work on it using a shop vac with a long hose on blow. You definately don't want to suck the fumes into your shop vac!!
    John aka Kenneth

User Level 1
    Member No: 189245 DT3938 is an unknown quantity at this point DT3938's Avatar

Yes | No
    I HAVE A 91 XJ6 VanP - CLEAN OUT THE TRUNK (BOOT), REMOVE CAB REAR WALL CARPET, UNBOLT 2 METAL STRAPS, REMOVE WIRING CONNECTORS HOSES TO TANK FILLER CAP & ADJACENT STUFF.

MOVE TO CAB & REMOVE SEATS & BACKREST. DISCONNECT FUEL PUMP WIRES.

MOVE TO UNDERSIDE OF CAR - TRICKY BIT THAT GOT ME - DISCONNECT FEED.VENT & RETURN FUEL FLEX LINES - THESE ARE UNDER THE CROSS MEMBER RIGHT HAND SIDE ACCESS HOLES-1/4 TURN WIRE CLIPS TO RELEASE. NEARLY TORE THEM UP TRYING TO PULL TANK OUT BACK OF TRUNK. SIMPLE WHEN YOU GET IT OUT & SEE IT. hOPE THIS HELPS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 99.9.30.22

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information