+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 14385 shastamutt is an unknown quantity at this point shastamutt's Avatar

Yes | No

IPOD question, again

Has anyone found a good trunk (cd changer) I/F connector for IPOD? Iím searching the archives but it seems like all (Dennison(?), USASpec, Blitzsafe etc.) are problematic!

Thanks,

Shastamutt :-)
    2K 2.3 Z3 Topaz Blue/Beige/Beige

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

I think that most of us have...more

changed the HU rather than trying to adapt the OEM radio to an iPod.

Scott Pettit

Registered Member
    Member No: 81271 ExJxZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point ExJxZ3's Avatar

Yes | No

Agreed..

I held out for 10 years, but once my CD changer started to sh!t the bed, and since the cost of aux in and ipod adapters are almost as much as new head units, it was time to change. new HU's have usb, aux in, ipod, HD radio, bluetooth and more..

Registered Member
    Member No: 12210 TommyZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point TommyZ3's Avatar

Yes | No

I use the iSimple Adapter from Autotoys

I use the iSimple Adapter from www.Autotoys.com. Purchased in January 2008 for $105, free shipping, no PayPal fee, and DIY install, it has performed to my satisfaction. As with other adapters, it connects to the 6-CD Changer cable in the trunk and is selected by the radio's (stock Harman Kardon CD) CD mode. It does not show track, playlist or other info on the radio display. I ran the provided cable which terminates in an iPod connector to my center console were it connects to the iPod Nano which fits into the cup holder I never use. There is plenty of cable if you choose to run to an iPod holder mounted next to the radio. I generally set the playlist or use shuffle and hit play, that's it. So, that works for me.

Each time you start the car, the play button on the iPod must be used to start/play the iPod, then the radio's controls select next/previous tracks. The audio connection is from the iPod connector so the audio quality is very good, even through the BMW radio and iPod is always fully charged. That's nice when I get to my location and want to listen to my iPod as I walk or bike. BTW, the Harman Kardon does sound better that the standard system - I've had both.

I am not being negative here "just the facts": If you want to keep the stock radio (aesthetics), don't mind running a cable from the truck to the cabin, don't need to have complete control over the iPod, don't need to see the track/playlist info, don't like the sound of the output from the iPod earphone plug, don't want to deal with the known issues of several other devices, than the iSimple is "simple" solution.

In my 2002 3.0i Z3 Roadster I used the iSimple iPod Aux Adapter #8502

I have never had an issue with this adapter.

2002 3.0i
    Sterling Gray/Black/Black
    No CDV
    Clutch Stop
    Dinan Strut Brace
    Whalen Shift Machine
    Whalen Hood Release
    Windblox Windblocker
    In-Dash Garage Door Opener
    Axxis Deluxe Advanced Brake Pads

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

Here's a very good unit...

...I had the Aux-in unit installed in my 1.9 and it works great. They also have a iPod unit and the nice thing is that it plugs right behind the radio so it's less complicated and no wires to pull.

I really don't like the look of aftermarket head unit so replacing the headunit was not an option.

Link: http://www.gromaudio.com/store/ipod_...interface.html
    ---------------------------------

1998 Z3 1.9 - few modifications here and there
    1999 Z3 2.8 - individual edition (British Traditional)
    2003 Z4 2.5i

Ma Lou

Yes | No

Re: Here's a very good unit...

yeh grom is really good. wanted to keep the stock look as well so this was perfect because it was all hidden behind the stereo. got mine from this website instead because shipping was cheaper

http://www.cushieaudio.com.au/vehicles/bmw/bmw-bmw.html

Registered Member
    Member No: 149559 DLee is an unknown quantity at this point DLee's Avatar

Yes | No

Satellite radio?

Will this allow a sat radio to plug in? I need an aux connection for both iPod and sat radio.
    Thanks.

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

BavAuto unit works, OK, sort of.

I just bought two of the units sold by BavAuto and they work, sort of.

They do not display track information on the display as advertised, and sometimes it seems to jump to different playlists. You have to set up six playlists on the iPod (BMW1, BMW2, etc) to mimic the six CDs in the changer.

There is a DIREECT mode that allows you to use the iPod to select songs, by using the iPod interface, which allows you access to the whole iPod. I routed the wire to the glove box and put the iPod there. Not practical when you are driving, of course.

The hybrid mode allows you to access 5 playlists and then disc 6 switches to direct mode, so you have the best of both worlds, such as it is.

I hate to go to aftermarket radios, myself. I had to recently in the X5, when I realized the cost of repairing the five unit Bordmonitor Nav system (Bordmonitor, radio receiver, CD-ROM computer, DVD player, and H-K amplifier) was nearly $2000 - for used parts from eBay (about 1/5 the value of the car).

I bought a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 with a 60GB hard drive, bluetooth, iPod interface, voice navigation, and DVD player, used on eBay for $480.

I sold the remaining components in the car (except the H-K amplifier) for $500.

So it was a free radio, basically. I am selling the CD changers from my other cars, but they fetch only $50 or so. I recorded all my CDs to my computers a couple years back and got rid of the CDs. Too bulky to carry around...

I am not a big fan of aftermarket stereos, particularly since most are so ugly. But the Pioneer double-din fit the X5 nicely and works better than stock.

The built-in 60 GB hard drive holds a lot of music, too.

Maybe they make a single-DIN that would fit the Z3?

Good Luck.

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Another pic

It looks OK in the dashboard too. No chrome or flashing lights. I selected the background screen saver to mimic the wood trim.

David

Yes | No

Re: Another pic

This looks VERY nice. The matching tone is a nice touch.
    I am also in the market for 'Ipod' compatability and would prefer a stealth (OEM) head unit.
    I've seen too many aftermarket units pack so many features into their products, that all the features work OK, and none of them work great. I also don't want to spend $1000's to return to my vehicle one night with a sliced top and missing stereo.
    Regardless- Great Job on your install.

Registered Member
    Member No: 163777 bonbon is an unknown quantity at this point bonbon's Avatar

Yes | No

Re:Great taste in Music

I listen to the same CD all the time.
    Probably the only one doing so driving between Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information