+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 91960 ghollis_1 is an unknown quantity at this point ghollis_1's Avatar

Yes | No

knocking noise coming from transmission

yesterday afternoon, after my '03 ZHP with 60k was warmed up and sitting in the garage, i started it up. when i shifted into neutral and took my foot off the clutch, i heard a knocking noise coming from underneath the car, roughly the transmission area...the knocking was periodic, about every half-second. "felt" like some mass was loose and rotating in the bell housing if i had to guess.

i didn't rev the engine to see if it was RPM dependent (wasn't thinking at the time), but when i pressed the clutch in, the knocking noise went away. took foot off, knocking noise came back. i shifted into reverse and let the clutch out, no knocking noise.

something going south in my clutch? cars shifts and drives fine, and i don't get a knocking noise while driving around. i'm easy on my clutch, tho i do not drive the ZHP on the track, i do heel-toe, but that helps with rev-matching on the downshifts. throw-out bearing going bad? unbalanced flywheel? thanks in advance for any help given!

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

T/O bearing going bad would be my 1st guess...

you may be able to nurse it for a long time if that's what it is.
    Photobucket

Registered Member
    Member No: 12304 JKidd is an unknown quantity at this point JKidd's Avatar

Yes | No

X2

Registered Member
    Member No: 91960 ghollis_1 is an unknown quantity at this point ghollis_1's Avatar

Yes | No

what'll happen when it completely fails?

Registered Member
    Member No: 12304 JKidd is an unknown quantity at this point JKidd's Avatar

Yes | No

I can only guess...

based on what it does:

The throw out bearing is conected to a fork sticking out of your bell housing which is conected to your clutch. When you engage the clutch pedal the thowout bearing moves the the clutch away or towards the pressure plate and flywheel depending on if you press or depress the pedal while allowing it to spin.

If this bearing fails, I believe you would still be able to engage/disengage the clutch, but since it has failed, the clutch would stop spinning on disengagement and possibly result in a much more difficult/abrupt re-engagement.

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

The correct answer is you don't want to have this

bearing fail. And when a bearing starts to go (make noises), it's a sign that it doesn't have long to live.
    I suspect a failed throwout bearing would allow the car to drive as long as you do not depress the clutch pedal. But once you push in the clutch and engage the load onto this bearing, you'll be tearing things up in your clutch housing, enlarging the ultimate repair bill, potentially enormously.

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

The clutch fork presses the TO bearing against the

fingers(contact points) of the pressure plate to release pressure from the clutch sandwich(PP, disc, flywheel). When the bearing completely fails it might fly apart and cause damage to other components in the bell housing...but most peeps will change it out(and all other replaceable parts) long before that. It will get noisier in time and you'll know when to do it...common sense will tell you so. Figure on doing a complete clutch job. Only variable would be with the flywheel...replace, resurface, or do nothing. All depends on the condidtion. Not sure if resurfacing is an option on E46 flywheel. A damaged flywheel must be addressed in order to prevent chatter
    Photobucket

Registered Member

Yes | No

thanks for the responses everyone

kinda surprised this is happening at 60k. my E36M3 still had the original clutch at 120k, and my sister's E30 went till 210k. oh well, time for an upgrade :)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Check out your Bell Curve theory; you just happen

to be at one end of the curve.
    What do you mean by upgrade? You'll not do better than the oem clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, etc. if you just drive normally.

Registered Member
    Member No: 64171 reupreckt is an unknown quantity at this point reupreckt's Avatar

Yes | No

Same in mine bro. I think it's T/O bearing

Registered Member

Yes | No

what's your mileage?

Registered Member
    Member No: 64171 reupreckt is an unknown quantity at this point reupreckt's Avatar

Yes | No

~49K. It's been going on for probably the last

5K miles or so, intermittently. It's a 2004 model.

You may recall a few months back, I was asking clockboy about results of folks using a lightweight flywheel in a non-M E46. I was thinking about upgrades myself while it's apart.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: ~49K. It's been going on for probably the last

Registered Member

Yes | No

sorry, above is wrong keystroke!

blackie

Yes | No

Re:my BMW e46 318i can't reach 140km/h

my BMW e46 318i can't go up to 140km/h.it only stop at 110km/h.I did my minior service last month ie(changing oils, spark plugs all filters)What could be the problem

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information