+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thermostat

Stevo///Msport

Yes | No

Thermostat

I'm in the middle of replacing the water pump on my e34 540/6 M-sport. After removed the water pump and took out the thermostat I noticed that one end of the arch that connects to the base is no longer attached. There is a sliver of space between that you can barely see clean through. I would normally replace it no problem but it turns out that none of the local shops carry this part in stock. I need to have my car in working order by monday if possible. Any thoughts on using the thermostat that I have?

TIA
    Stephen

Registered Member
    Member No: 147046 dusty21 is an unknown quantity at this point dusty21's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Thermostat

Heat it in a pan of water on a stove - if it opens up
    then it is probably useable...

User Level 1
    Member No: 197835 Bmwrestorationguy is an unknown quantity at this point Bmwrestorationguy's Avatar

Yes | No
    Look if your there replacing the water pump go ahead and replace the thermostat. You did not comment on the service history of your car. So if you do not know when that thermostat was last replaced it is not that much work to replace it now. If you are a diy it will not cost that much. Get the housing gasket and the correct rtv sealant. Most local auto parts will sell you the recommended items that you need. And most smart owners of BMW s all recommend a water pump with a metal impeller. Your parts sales guys will let you know what an impeller is if you do not know. Good luck and drive cool.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.23.187.191

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information