+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AC Question

st-pete-z3

Yes | No

AC Question

Running down the road AC flows cool. Stop at a light and it warms up; not hot but a humid cool. Press the gas to around 1K RPM and cool flows again. Replaced the evaporator last year.

I purchased one of those cans of refrigerant with a gage on it and the gage says around 45 psi pressure. This is yellow and indicates possible over pressure. So I put it on the wifeís car (no AC problems) and it reads around the same. I guess there probably isn't a leak.

Any ideas-?

Registered Member
    Member No: 181703 burnhad is an unknown quantity at this point burnhad's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: AC Question

I just replaced the AC compressor, dryer, and expansion valve in my 2001 Chrysler minivan (my daughter is driving my Z3) so I have some experience with no AC in St. Pete.
    Your description suggests that the evaporator isn't being cooled unless the car is moving. Check the radiator cooling fan at idle and verify that it is coming on. Mine wouldn't come on until I disconnected the sensor on the high pressure switch and reconnected it again. That was before I found out that my AC compressor was out of oil and wouldn't cycle on so I had to replace it.

st-pete-z3

Yes | No

Thanks- The AUX fan is coming on when the AC is turned on. What about this oil in the compressor-? Is this the oil in the coolant-? If yes my system was emptied last year when some work was done. Iíd have to assume the shop put new coolant back in with proper oil.

Registered Member
    Member No: 165830 tonysofia is an unknown quantity at this point tonysofia's Avatar

Yes | No

Same problem here, where is this sensor located at? A picture would be of great help too :)
    Tony
    2000 Z3 2.8l

Registered Member
    Member No: 16681 CJBanas is an unknown quantity at this point CJBanas's Avatar

Yes | No

Have the same issue and have just lived with it for a while. I thought it was being caused by a dying compressor clutch. Not catching at low rpm but working at speed. Would be nice to find it was an easier fix.

CJ
    '97 2.8 Boston Green, Tan^2, Hooped, Tuned, Gaged and then some....

st-pete-z3

Yes | No

It was high 90's here last week. Rides home were rough. Living with it goes to a point of OK. This week we're back in lower 90's so it's working a bit better. I just keep the RPM's up at the lights.

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Same problem

Mine is doing this as well. It had a slow leak, which has gotten worse. This year when I took it out of storage there was zero pressure in it. I have been recharging it annually for three years now, but I think there is air in the system now, so it is not running properly. It cools at speed, but not much at idle, and the aux fan is running.

I think I need to take it to an A/C shop, have them pump it down and then recharge it, possibly install a new receiver/dryer (which sucks up moisture and contaminants) and maybe find the leak (lets hope it isn't behind the dash board).

Finding a good A/C shop that works on BMWs. That should be fun.

st-pete-z3

Yes | No

Re: Same problem

Every time I take it to a shop itís behind the dash.
    The AC is the one thing about this car I hate.

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Ouch....

Mine never was super-strong to begin with. Better than the aftermarket Behr units in the 1974 models. But not by much.

st-pete-z3

Yes | No

Question

But the pressure in the system is there. If I am at a light and I press the gas enough for the rpms to go to 1K cold air blows. I would't dare add. Could there still be a leak-?

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Update....

I took the M Roadster to a local shop to see if they could find the leak. It has been using a can of refrigerant every year, and this year the pressure was ZERO when I took it out of storage.

They put in a new condenser and filter/dryer ($500 with labor, not bad considering retail on the condenser is $500).

It works OK - above 2000 rpm. On the road, it works fine, but at lower speeds or when stopped, it isn't as cool.

I am going to check the aux fan again, as well as the coolant level. But recollection has been that the Z3 A/C has never been that strong, and on 100 degree days down here in Georgia, it it near its limit.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcomed....

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Stupid question, but....

You do have it on "recirculate" right? Otherwise, you are trying to air condition planet Earth with your car....

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Aux fan OK

Blows ice cold on 80 degree days.

I am beginning to think that 100+ degrees in direct sun is just too much heat load for the car.

I'm going to have the windows tinted....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information