+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 181264 rge748 is an unknown quantity at this point rge748's Avatar

Yes | No

mystery noise

I have a noise coming from behind the seats on my 2.8, possibly from the roll hoop-subwoofer-seat belt tensioner enclosure. Its a dull 'thunk', not necessarily something loose but two things too close to each other. On rough roads I get a stuttering "thunk-thunk-thunk, thunk-thunk" corresponding to the road surface. When the car hits a major bump, there is a single "THUNK!", considerably louder than the stuttering thunks. Just to make it more interesting, this seems to happen only when the top is up. I've done a cursory inspection of the top frame and found nothing loose, but I could be wrong. Anyone have a similar gremlin or able to offer a fix? Thanks

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 28222
    Inner Circle ©160 since: Apr 24, 2003 MinnMark is an unknown quantity at this point MinnMark's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: mystery noise

Check your upper strut mounts. You can do some inspection from the bottom in the wheel well, but you should also pull the liner in the well behind the seats and look at them there. You likely won't see anything, because most of the time when they are shot it's the internal bushings.

So, while you're at it, just replace them with Meyles or some other heavy duty mount! That's the best thing to do!

MinnMark
    '00 2.3 Oxford Green/Tan/Tan
    And yes, I drive my car in the snowy winter!

Registered Member

Yes | No

While peeling back the carpet in the top well, I reached underneath and felt something loose. I pulled it out: a lead weight, about the size of a hockey puck with a slot up the middle of about 1/2 inch. Thought it might be some sort of counterweight for the top. Went for a drive and...no more 'thunk'. I've looked at parts diagrams for this area and can find nothing that resembles this thing. Huh?

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

I suspect the RSM's also however...m

If he has pulled out the object that he described, it doesn't sound like it is the RSM and, if it was, the shock would no longer be attached to the car.

Also, as far as I know (which most folks will say is not much) the top does not have a counter weight. At least, mine doesn't.

Could it be a dead magnet from a speaker?

By the way, if you are in Northern California, I'd be happy to let you use my lift to check out the shocks.

Scott Pettit

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 28222
    Inner Circle ©160 since: Apr 24, 2003 MinnMark is an unknown quantity at this point MinnMark's Avatar

Yes | No

Ok, that's weird!

No parts back there that I know of that resemble that at all!

I wish all clunks and rattles were that easy to find and eliminate....

MinnMark
    '00 2.3 Oxford Green/Tan/Tan
    And yes, I drive my car in the snowy winter!

Registered Member
    Member No: 170217 Giznaz is on a distinguished road Giznaz's Avatar

Yes | No

I've done that before. Marbles in the ceiling

of the Captain's stateroom in the Coast Guard. Drove him NUTS.

Registered Member
    Member No: 56117 bsrsystems is an unknown quantity at this point bsrsystems's Avatar

Yes | No

Believe it or not, sounds like your drive shaft...

u-joints are shot. I had the same sound and chased it for over a year before I found it. The u-joints wear out and then they intermittently lock up [thunk]. Now if you have very low mileage I would just consider this the ramblings of a silly old man.

Registered Member
    Member No: 146192 s-retire is an unknown quantity at this point s-retire's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: That's great... You should have been...

in the fire house

st-pete-z3

Yes | No

There is a charcoal canister behind the seat between the trunk & driverís seat. Not sure what it is for. One time had work done and they forgot to reattach it after removing it to get to something. Possibly it is a strap that holds it and yours broke. Just a thought. Honestly I looked, but I couldnít see it, but the dealer said so.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: mystery noise -- more clues

xx xxxx xx
    xx xx
    xx xx
    xx xxxx xx
    xx x x xx
    xxx x x xxx
    x xx x x xx x
    x xx x x xx x
    x xx x x xx x
    x x x x
    x x x x
    x x x x

Here's a crude drawing of the object. Diameter = 4 in., thickness= 1 in., slot extends 3 inches from the edge radially and is 1/2 in. wide. Seems to be made of lead, weighs about 5-7lbs and looks like its been bounced around a bit -- several circular indentations of various sizes on both sides of the object, no more than 1/16 in. deep. One other clue: previous owner had the top replaced immediately before I bought the car. Maybe whomever installed the top wanted to have a little fun with her...Last night I drove over a particularly rough road nearby; no "thunks", nothing fell off the car, smooth and quiet as the day it left the Werkstaat.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: mystery noise -- more clues

Sorry -- the drawing didn't work; dimensions are correct, though.

Registered Member
    Member No: 159985 stluciez3 is an unknown quantity at this point stluciez3's Avatar

Yes | No

Anvil or pounding tool?

Not having installed a top (not wanting to, also) I don't know what sort of tools are involved, but a piece of lead is handy for use as either a backing anvil or for striking in a restricted space.

How about stopping by the shop that did the top and see if they claim it?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Anvil or pounding tool?

Judging from the indentations and general appearance and weight of the object your theory makes perfect sense. Its not a BMW part -- unless they're going for the "distressed" look now. I'll see if I can track down the installer...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information