+ Reply to Thread
    PAPPY ROUTON

Yes | No

CHANGE FUEL PUMP AND FILTER 3201 1982

NEED HELP: I AM NOVICE AT OWNING OLDER 1982 320I BMW THAT I AM TRYING TO RESTORE AND LEARN ABOUT---I THINK I NEED TO REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP OUTSIDE RIGHT REAR AXLE AND THE FUEL FILTER--AND NEED TO KNOW HOW AND WHAT I MIGHT EXPECT OR NEED TO DO OR NOT TO DO???
    THANKS FOR ANY ASSISTANCE.
    PAPPY

BG

Yes | No

Re: CHANGE FUEL PUMP AND FILTER

The filter is one-way, meaning make sure you have the arrows pointed in the right direction. I can't help with the pump because mine is still original (29 years and still running). Also make sure the in-tank pump is working and the screen is not gummed up with something.

Did your car sit for a few years? If so, you may have a lot of gum or varnish in the fuel lines. Good luck, please be a regular correspondent.

Registered Member
    Member No: 181799 BLACK82 is an unknown quantity at this point BLACK82's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: CHANGE FUEL PUMP AND FILTER

THANKS FOR REPLY---YES IT SET FOR AWHILE-BUT WAS RUNNING---OK--AND SHE STARTED TO RUN A ALITTLE WHILE AND CUT OFF--RUN AND CUT OFF--NOW SHE WILL NOT START AT ALL---I PUT NEW OXYGEN SENSOR IN--AND A NEW FUEL RELAY SWITCH---THE FUEL PUMP AND FILTER IS ORIGINAL--AND SEEM TO BE A LITTLE LOOSE-ON THE HANGER --I CAN SHAKE THEM EASY????
    I AM ALSO CONCERENED ABOUT UN HOOKING THE LINES TO THE FILTER AND PUMP--WILL THEY POUR GAS OUT OR DO I NEED TO DO SOMETHING ELSE WITH THEM TO KEEP THAT FROM HAPPENING???----COULD IT BE A ELECTRICAL DISCONNECT OR SOMETHING ON THE FUEL SYSTEM???? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED...
    PAPPY

BG

Yes | No

Some other possibilities

Take a look a few messages below for links to the FAQs on this car. If you just recently got this car and don't know its history, I suggest you start with the simplest and cheapest things first:

1. Basic tune-up (spark plugs, etc - use WR9DS SILVER plugs)

2. Check for vacuum leaks. Most running and driveability problems with these little cars are from vacuum leaks. You can buy a kit with the vacuum hoses. If you have vacuum leaks, you simply can't get the engine to run properly, and fooling with timing or fuel mixtures will just make it worse. That has been the fate of many old BMWs: crude attempts to compensate for a fundamental problem that needed to be fixed first, like vacuum leaks.

3. Electrical problems caused by corroded contacts, corroded fuses, bad grounds, bad battery cables, etc. Clean every contact that you can find. Buy a generic 1-wire O2 sensor and install. Getting the old one out may be a challenge.

4. Fuel supply. You are already checking on this. You probably need to run 93 octane to prevent knocking.

5. Finally, when it is running, use Techron or Ventil Sauber for several tankfuls to help clean fuel injectors and valves. But, they can't fix a badly gunked up engine.

6. Change ALL fluids: oil, transmission, differential, brakes, radiator. Use Redline MTL in the transmission (it's manual, I hope for your sake).

Good luck, have fun.

PAPPY ROUTON

Yes | No

Re: Some other possibilities

THANKS BG---I HAVE DONE MOST OF THOSE THINGS ALREADY--LIKE IT WAS RUNNING LIKE A CHAMP--TILL THIS RECENT SPRINT--NOW NOT AT ALL--I'LL KEEP CHECKING BUT--IT MOST LIKELY WILL BE THE FUEL PUMP OR PUMPS?
    THANKS--FOR SUGGESTIONS--PAPPY

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information