+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 181466 ZooMer is an unknown quantity at this point ZooMer's Avatar

Yes | No

Question/poll, all input welcome....

I recently acquired a 2001 M roadster, AFAIK 100% stock original. Question is.......

Would you leave it completely stock or make "improvements"??

At what point would you feel mods were value add vs detracting from original?

Registered Member
    Member No: 81271 ExJxZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point ExJxZ3's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Question/poll, all input welcome....

As someone who was once posted as AllStock, I thought stock was good and was proud of the fact, but here is my opinion as to what upgrades are better than stock:

(1) Shocks - Bilstein/Koni are superior in durability and handling
    (2) Rear Strut Mounts, I used HD Meyle, more durable, others swear by Rogue or other suppliers.
    (3) Control Arms - again Meyle make a more heavy duty ball joint, and bushings.
    (4) Audio system - BSW, IntegralAudio, provide upgraded speaker components, amps are not the greatest either..
    (5) Cooling System - Stewart, Zionsville, provide heavy duty water pumps and rads, but are a bit pricey.

Registered Member
    Member No: 146192 s-retire is an unknown quantity at this point s-retire's Avatar

Yes | No

These recommendations are all quite good and...

With the exception of the all aluminum radiator & BSW, should not detract from the "stock" image of the car. Even those two mods are so discrete that they aren't detrimental in my opinion.

Beyond that, the decision to make other mods have to be based on personal preference. Start with what are your long range plans for the car.

Do you plan on keeping it for ever and showing it on concourse. Unlikely, but if that is an option, it should limit your mods.

Do you keep a car for a few years and then turn it over. If that is the case plan on at least realizing limited value for the expense of the mods. Some mods beyond ZGator's recommendations may actually reduce the value of the car.

or, Do you plan on keeping it for ever and drive the wheels off off it. Then I'd say only make the mods that will make you happy and enhance your smiles/mile experience.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

2 things I would address ASAP if it was my car...

1) Main bearings, just in case your S54 is one of those who wanna go "kaboooooooooooooooom-put-put-put"
    2) Rear subframe bushings, just in case your trunk floor want go "crack"

Everything else is a matter of personal taste...
    ---------------------------------

1998 Z3 1.9 - few modifications here and there
    1999 Z3 2.8 - individual edition (British Traditional)
    2003 Z4 2.5i

NC02Z3

Yes | No

Re: These recommendations are all quite good and...

Stock if you are a weekend cruiser and put minimum mileage on the car. That will get you excellent $$$ when the time comes to sell, especially with such low production numbers. Collectors will be interested one day.
    Mod it if you plan on heavy use and lots of mileage. Collectors won't be as interested.

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Drive it a while first

Drive it a while first. You might decide to leave it alone for the most part. They did not make many of the 2001-2002 models, and they are quasi-collectible (the most collectible of any Z3, anyway).

Any thing that repairs a known problem is probably good.

Anything than can be readily removed is probably not harmful.

Anything that permanently alters the car is probably a bad idea.

The main thing is, you don't need to spend money on this car to enjoy it. It was the best Z3 they made, period. End of the product run, plus the most powerful engine.

And like any decade-old BMW, it will provide you with endless opportunities to spend money, just keeping it running.

Enjoy the car, that's the main thing.

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

How many miles on the car?

If the car has low miles, chances are, the stock components are in good shape and have many years of life left in them...

I do the water pumps at 70-100K on my BMWs. The roadster just turned over 27K, so I guess it will be a decade or more before I get to that..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information